|SCIENTIFIC DISCIPLINARY SECTOR||BIO/14|
|MODULES||This unit is a module of:|
The main goal of the pharmacology course will be to provide the students with the general notions of pharmacokinecs and pharmacodynamics which represent the basis to understand the effects of the different pharmacological classes.
The detail of the pharmacological modulation of the autonomic nervous system (sympathetic and parasympathetic) will be described as paradignatic of the drug modulation of different receptor subtypes and their biological effects. Moreover, the main drugs used during therapy (i.e. NSAID and glucocorticoids) will be described in relationship with their clinical use.
The course will provide the student with the following knowledges:
- general concepts of pharmacokinetics;
- general concepts of pharmacodynamics;
- mechanisms of action, biological effects, clinical use, and side effects of the the main drug classes.
The main skills that will be acquired by the students (i.e. the ability of aplly the acquired knowledges) will be:
- the understanding of the basic pharmacology will allow the students to evaluate the drug inteactions with the body mediating their effect, toxicity and elimination;
- the understanding of the main properties of drugs such as NSAIDs and glucocorticoids will allow the students to evalute the pros and cons of their use in different clinical conditions.
Teaching of pharmacology will be performed by frontal lessons
1) General pharmacology
2) Routes of drug administration, absorption, bioavailability and bioequivalence, distribution and metabolisms of drugs
3) Drug elimination, individual characteristics influencing drug actiuvity and toxicity
4) Agonism and antagonism, efficacy and potency, therapeutic index. Pharmacoallergy, hydiosincrasy, tollerance, dependence
5) Pharmacological modulation of the sympathetic system
6) Pharmacological modulation of the parasympathetic system
All the slides shown during the frontal lessons will be made available to the students
All the pharmacology textbooks for health professions are suitable to integrate the lessons.
As examples: "Compendio di farmacologia generale e speciale" M. Amico-Roxas, A. Caputi, M. Del Tacca. Ed. Utet Scienze Mediche;
“Farmacologia per le professioni sanitarie” Anita Conforti, ecc. Ed. Idelson Gnocchi;
" Le basi della farmacologia" M.A. Clark, ecc. Ed. Zanichelli
Office hours: All the days, after appointament (tel 010-3538806, e-mail: email@example.com) in the office at the ex-Institute ph Pharmacology, viale Benedetto XV num 2.
TULLIO FLORIO (President)
ANNA LISA FURFARO
MARIAPAOLA NITTI (President and Coordinator of Integrated Course)
The exam of pharmacology will be performed as an interview
The student will have to demonstrate knowlege of the mechanisms involved in the reciprocal interactions between the body and the drugs (pharmacodinamics and pharmacokinetics); the mechanism of action, the clinical use and the side effects of themain pharmacological classes described during the course, and the possible drug interactions.