|SETTORE SCIENTIFICO DISCIPLINARE||ING-IND/33|
|MODULI||Questo insegnamento è un modulo di:|
This course is relevant to Power Systems engineering, in light of the industrial revolution towards a low fossil fuel society.
The technical & economic management of new power systems relying on renewables, storage units and low emissions fossil fuel trigeneration sources is a fundamental skill of an Energy Engineer interested to devolp her/his future career in the industrial or institutional sectors or as a freelance working on Sustainable Energy issues.
The course is designed to provide theoretical and methodological skills for the economic analyses related to the development of projects in the sustainable energy sector. In this context, it encompasses the fundamentals of energy markets, the procedures to calculate high efficiency cogeneration and the levelized cost of electricity. A special focus is devoted to new power production and distribution infrastructures such as smart grids and smart microgrids, with specific insight concerning with energy management platforms.
To analyse the structure of the electric power system, with emphasis on production, transmission and distribution of electricity. To analyse the operation of electricity markets and the policies aiming to incentivize renewable power plants.
To solve exercises on electricity markets, high performance cogeneration and trigeneration. To define business plan analyses for distributed power plants and microgrids. To calculated levelized cost of electricity for different generation technologies.
Theoretical lectures accompanied by exercises on specific case studies to be solved in order to apply the learnt methodologies.
- Electricity production and consumption data of the World.
- Modeling Power System components: power plants, power substations and lines.
- Transmission lines: DC and three-phase AC systems; distribution infrastructures; control strategies.
- Distributed Generation: economic and technical aspects.
- The liberalized electrical market: legislation and main actors; market clearing price in the Day Ahead Market (DAM) and strategies for the management of Renewable Energy Sources (RES); resolution of congestions; zonal splitting; production prices and consumer prices; resolution of the infra-day market; the dispatching service market (MSD); MSD ex ante, Balancing Market and management of deviations in generation and consumption programs.
- Incentives for RES power plants.
- Cogeneration and Trigeneration systems (technical issues and current EU and Italian legislation).
- Energy Communities (technical issues and current EU and Italian legislation).
- Investment analysis in the Sustainable Energy sector: business plan development.
- Levelized Cost of Electricity (LCOE).
- Analysis of energy bills of end-users.
- Documents provided by the teachers;
The following volumes:
- Bracco S., Brignone M., Delfino F., Procopio R., Robba M., Rossi M., Microgrids Design and Operation – Toward Smart Energy in Cities, Artech House, Boston, USA, 2018.
- De Simón-Martín M., Bracco S., Piazza G., Pagnini L.C., González-Martínez A., Delfino F., Levelized Cost of Energy in Sustainable Energy Communities. A Systematic Approach for Multi-Vector Energy Systems, Springer Briefs in Applied Sciences and Technologies, Springer, Cham (Switzerland), 2022.
- Kirschen D., Strbac G., Fundamentals of Power System Economics, Wiley, 2004.
- Guerrero J., Vasquez J., Microgrids: Control and Operation, Wiley-IEEE, 2015.
- Kundur P., Power System Stability and Control, McGraw-Hill Professional, 1994.
- Wood A.J., Wollenberg B.F., Sheblé G.B., Power Generation, Operation, and Control, 3rd Edition, 2013.
Ricevimento: Il ricevimento è da concordare su appuntamento (e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org)
Ricevimento: Il ricevimento è previo appuntamento concordato per via telefonica o e-mail. Riferimenti: Stefano Bracco, DITEN, tel. +39-01921945123, cell. +39-3357917372, e-mail: email@example.com
RENATO PROCOPIO (Presidente)
ANDREA BONFIGLIO (Presidente Supplente)
STEFANO BRACCO (Presidente Supplente)
L'orario di tutti gli insegnamenti è consultabile su EasyAcademy.
Students must take a written examination consisting of numerical exercises. The oral examination is optional for students who wish to improve their grade in the written examination.
Students with learning disorders ("Disturbi Specifici di Apprendimento", DSA) will be allowed to use specific modalities and supports that will be determined on a case-by-case basis in agreement with the delegate of the Engineering courses in the Committee for the Inclusion of Students with Disabilities
The assessment strategy is based firstly on the continuous interaction with all the students attending the lessons, especially during the resolution of practical case studies, then it is quantitatively carried out by means of the evaluation of the student during the written and oral examinations.
Necessary skills to face this course:
- Circuit theory;
- Power and Energy Systems.