|SCIENTIFIC DISCIPLINARY SECTOR||ING-INF/03|
|MODULES||This unit is a module of:|
The lectures are aimed to provide basic knowledge on telecommunications technologies employed to support safety, logistic and intelligent transportation systems. In more detail, networking fundamentals will be introduced and in particular, protocols and wireless networks – usually exploited by modern Intelligent Transportation Systems – will be described from the technological viewpoint.
The course aims at introducing the basics of telecommunication networks from the point of view of the transmission media, the functional structure, the definition of protocols, and the remote system communication. Elements about Internet of Things functions and protocols will be also provided considering application scenarios related to safety, intelligent transport systems and logistics. Moreover, basics of Machine Learning will be provided with examples in the mentioned application frameworks.
Attendance and active participation in the proposed training activities (lectures and exercises) and the
individual study will allow the students to:
- acquire a correct terminology for the identification of the main components and functionalities of a telecommunications network and in particular of the Internet;
- know in depth the structure and functions of the Internet and understand how wireless components of the same are frequently used in Intelligent Transportation Systems applications;
- know the main mechanisms that guarantee reliable communications over the Internet;
- identify the main components and functions that allow the transfer of information on the Internet;
- apply the differences between wireless and mobile networks and the related protocols to analyze their employment;
- provide examples of applications of wireless technologies to support applications related to safety, logistics and transports.
Structure of the Internet; transmission media; functional structure, definition of protocol, remote system communication; definition of circuit and packet switching; Internet and TCP/IP networks; Internet protocols (top-down approach), TCP, UDP, IP, ARP, DNS, DHCP and ICMP; introduction to Ethernet and CSMA/CD; IEEE 802.11 with CSMA/CA multiple access and Bluetooth; MANET and VANET; Vertical handover with IEEE 802.21.
Office hours: By appointment. Please contact the lecturer by email (igor_dot_bisio_at_unige_dot_it) or by phone +39-010-3532803.
IGOR BISIO (President)
FABIO LAVAGETTO (President Substitute)
All class schedules are posted on the EasyAcademy portal.
Written exam: multiple-choice test and open-ended questions.
The written exam in the part related to multiple choice tests will verify the effective acquisition of basic knowledge on the technologies presented during lectures. The problems and/or open-ended questions will allow to evaluate the ability to apply the acquired knowledge in practical and applicative situations.
Detailed information are reported in the dedicated webpage: http://www.dsp.diten.unige.it/index.php/teachings/trasporti.