|CREDITS||5 credits during the 2nd year of 10553 ENGINEERING FOR NATURAL RISK MANAGEMENT (LM-26) SAVONA|
|SCIENTIFIC DISCIPLINARY SECTOR||ING-IND/33|
94669 – CRITICAL ENERGY INFRASTRUCTURES MODELLING AND SIMULATION
Scientific domain: ING-IND/33 Electrical Power Systems
European Credit Transfer System Credits (ECTS): 5
Year: Second year of the M.Sc. in Engineering for Natural Risk Management
Lessons schedule: according to Polytechnic School timetable
Lecturer: STEFANO BRACCO
The course is focused on the modelling and simulation of critical energy infrastructures, such as smart grids, electricity production plants, electrical storage systems and transmission lines, considering also electrical system faults; the planning and the operation of the aforementioned energy infrastructures composed of different interconnected systems will be analyzed and the main characteristics of the electric system will be discussed.
The main purpose of the course is to provide contents in the field of power systems engineering and, in particular, in the sector of critical energy infrastructures. Students will acquire skills to develop technical and economic analyses, and simulation/optimization models of complex energy infrastructures. Competences on smart grids/microgrids/nanogrids, electrical storage systems and electric mobility will be also acquired.
Knowledge of power systems and energy systems.
Knowledge of mathematical analysis and systems theory.
The course is based on theoretical lectures, solution of case problems and computer aided exercises (using Matlab, Simulink, Yalmip, Homer).
- The Italian and European electric system (production, transmission, distribution): technical and legislative aspects ("Clean Energy for all Europeans” package of the European Commission)
- Local Energy Communities (Renewable Energy Directive (REDII) 2018/2001/EU, Electricity Market Directive (EMD II) 20019/944/EU, etc.)
- Elements of energy markets
- Reliability and vulnerability of electrical networks, elements of electrical safety
- Smart grids/microgrids/nanogrids: technical, economic and environmental aspects, the Smart Polygeneration Microgrid of the Savona Campus
- Electrical storage systems
- Electric mobility systems (electric vehicles and charging infrastructures, V2X technologies)
- Simulation models of power plants and storage systems
- Optimization models for planning and management of distributed generation systems and smart grids/microgrids/nanogrids
Books and papers suggested by the lecturer.
STEFANO BRACCO (President)
RENATO PROCOPIO (President Substitute)
All class schedules are posted on the EasyAcademy portal.
Oral exam during which students will answer theroretical questions and solve numerical exercises.
Evaluation of the acquisition of practical and theoretical competences in the critical energy infrastructure sector. Assessment of skills in developing optimization and simulation models in the aforesaid sector.
Students have to install Matlab/Simulink/Simscape software on their computer in order to follow lessons.