|SCIENTIFIC DISCIPLINARY SECTOR||M-GGR/01|
Tourism is one of the keystones of the development and revitalization of many Italian regions, in particular Liguria, which in recent years, according to the REGIONAL TOURIST OBSERVATORY, presents a positive trend and continuous growth, that the crisis of 2020 due to the global pandemic has only slowed down.
In particular, the teaching of TERRITORI DEL MADE IN ITALY E GEOGRAFIA DEL MARE: I SISTEMI TURISTICI aims to provide some tools for the analysis of the link between territory and tourism and to focus on the geography of the sea, focusing in particular on the potential inherent in the tourist uses of the sea.
The course provides a general knowledge of the approach of social geography to the phenomena of local development with particular attention to the tourism sector and to new styles of life related to leisure. Students at the end of the course acquire knowledge of the dynamics of the processes of territorial and local development on the basis of spatial models of the local systems in tourism and case studies.
The student will be able to analyze the image of the territory, both maritime/coastal and inland areas, in order to recognize the specificity of its cultural heritage and identify strategies for the development of integrated and sustainable tourism.
It will also develop skills in the use of the sea related to tourism and in tourism brands made in Italy, in the design, documentation and presentation of tourism services or products.
The student will be able to analyze the image of the territory, both maritime/coastal and inland areas, in order to recognize the specificities of its cultural heritage and identify strategies for the development of integrated and sustainable tourism.
It will also develop skills useful to identify the uses of the sea related to tourism and to analyze the Made in Italy tourism brands. These skills will be useful in order to strengthen students' abilities in the design, documentation and presentation of tourism services or products.
Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
During the first lesson will be given a short test to verify knowledge and skills in geo-tourism.
The course includes lectures, in which slides and videos will be used.
There will also be group discussions on the main concepts and issues presented.
Privileged witnesses and/or experts will intervene during some lessons.
It is expected the use of Aulaweb where materials presented and discussed in class on the tools of geography of tourism and geography of the sea will be available.
The course is divided into three parts:
a) policies for tourism and hints of tourism marketing;
b) the organizational-territorial models that create a brand. The brand is a communication tool of territorial value. Tourist brands and case studies.
c) the tourist uses of the sea
For attending students
- Slides uploaded on Aulaweb
- Critical reading of the following articles (mandatory for exam preparation)
- R. Ambros, The value of tourism in Italy at the top of the "Country Brand, in eurocomunicazione.com
- F. Federici, Dai loghi ai luoghi. When branding makes tourism, in "Artitribune Magazine," March 14, 2016. www.artribune.it
- Monti S., "The future of international tourism is multiple vocation territories," June 15, 2021, https://www.officinaturistica.com/2021/06/territori-a-vocazione-plurima/
- A. Pezzano, Reputation and branding of destinations, no. 1 in "Tourism Workshop," March 20, 2018, www.officinaturistica.com
- A.Pezzano, Reputation and branding of destinations, no. 3 in "Tourism Workshop," May 22, 2018, www.officinaturistica.com
- Tourism Strategic Plan (STP) 2017-2022
- Statistical Source: Tourism in Liguria at page:https://www.regione.liguria.it/homepage/turismo/osservatorio-turistico-…
In-depth reading of one of the following texts is also expected:
- Braga A., Sustainable Tourism Development. Social changes and skills acquisition, Ediesse Edizioni, 2015.
- Canizzaro S. (ed.), Per una geografia del Turismo. Research and case studies in Italy, Bologna, Patron 2011.
- Cerutti S., Cottini A., Menzardi P., Heritography. For a geography of cultural heritage lived and represented, Aracne, Aprilia (LT), 2021.
- Turco A. (ed.) Filiere etiche del Turismo. Territories of the vacation between values, policies and markets, Milan, UNICOPLI 2014
- T. Torre, Tourism and quality between responsibility and sustainability. An in-depth study on Liguria. Rome Arachne 2012
- Zanolin G., Geography of Italian National Parks, Rome, Carocci (to be published in 2022)
- Regional Tourism Observatory of Liguria, Updated Report
For non-attending students
Canizzaro S. (edited by),Per una geografia del Turismo. Ricerche e casi di studio in Italia, Bologna, Patron 2011.
Zanini A., Un secolo di turismo in Liguria. Dynamics, paths, actors, Milan Franco Angeli 2012.
Written exercise (text, elaboration of a PowerPoint, a multimedia product) on a theme/topic agreed upon with the teacher.
We recommend reading one of the following documents:
Nation Brand Index, Report 2018-2019
Regional Tourism Observatory of Liguria, Report 2017-2018
Tourism Strategic Plan (STP) 2017-2022
Statistical Source: Tourism in Liguria at page:https://www.regione.liguria.it/homepage/turismo/osservatorio-turistico-…
Office hours: Reception From September 13, 2021 to the end of February 2022: Wednesdays from 2.30 p.m. to 3.30 p.m. - Floor 2 Corpo A - Direction Corso A. Podestà 2 - Genova (until 30 October 2021) From 1 March 2021 by appointment only Only for students of POLO di Imperia: From March 7, 2022 to May 10, 2022: Mondays 4-5pm - Polo Universitario Imperia For Savona Campus students only: From March 9 to April 20, 2022: Wednesday before or after class - Savona Campus. For any problem concerning the didactics it is possible to communicate with the teacher by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 010 20953604; or by calling 01020953500. For additional information, students are kindly requested to contact the professor in time to define bibliographical integrations or alternative programs. From 13 September 2021 to end February 2021 : Wednesday from 14.30 to 15.30 - Plan 2 Body A - Direction Corso A. Podestá 2 - Genoa. Only for students of the POLO of Imperia: From 7 March 2021 to 10 May 2021 : Monday at 16-17 - Polo Universitario Imperia Only for students of CAMPUS Savona: From March 10 to May 12, 2020: Wednesday at 12.00 - 13.00 - Campus of Savona. For any problem concerning the teaching you can still communicate with the teacher by email: email@example.com or by calling the number 010 20953604; or by calling the number 01020953500. For additional information, students are requested to contact the teacher in good time to define bibliographic additions or alternative programs.
NICOLETTA VARANI (President)
March, 9 2022
The exam will be oral and will include a discussion on the contents of the course, also with the help of graphs, maps and tables, proposed on aulaweb or present in the programmed texts. These tools will be useful to verify the ability to read the territory, intended as a central node for the study of contact and interactions between different identities. During the oral exam, the reading and comprehension of one of the texts recommended in the bibliography will also be verified.
The oral examination will be assessed on the basis of the following
a) Knowledge of the topics dealt with in the course (65%)
b) Quality of oral exposure/ability to present arguments and critical approach to discipline (25%)
c) Mastery of specific vocabulary (10%)