|SCIENTIFIC DISCIPLINARY SECTOR
Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) is becoming more and more attractive in the marine industry, as a complementary tool to the usual model and full-scale measurements. Deep knowledge of the theoretical basis of each approach, their limitations, the applicability fields and the quality of the results is, consequently, fundamental for the successful applicability of these approaches to design and analysis problems.
AIMS AND CONTENT
The course is intended to provide students with the basis of the most advanced numerical techniques adopted for the solution of the hydrodynamic problems related to naval architecture. The theoretical background of each proposed methodology, with its field of application and its limits, is presented together with hands-on examples.
AIMS AND LEARNING OUTCOMES
In detail, the course is devoted to providing the theoretical and technical aspects of the CFD, as:
- Definition of fundamental equations of fluid mechanics
- Theoretical aspects of the most used simplified and complete theories for the solution of flow motion.
- Examples of simple codes based on the developed theories during the lessons.
Basic knowledge of fluid dynamics and solution of analytical partial differential equations.
Oral lessons and computer lab.
The course is organized on some main topics:
- Overview of the state of art or the solution of fluid dynamic equations
- Introduction to continuum mechanics: Basic idea of a continuum description and how to obtain the flow equations.
- Potential methods with a focus on single-phase methods for 2-D and 3-d profiles
- Advance viscous CFD methodologies (focus on FDM and FVM), theoretical and practical aspects.
Particular problems as: boundary layer problem and propeller cavitation.
J. Katz & A. Plotkin, "Low Speed Aerodynamics - From wing theory to panel method", McGraw-Hill
J.H. Ferziger & M. Peric, "Computational Methods for Fluid Dynamics", Springer
TEACHERS AND EXAM BOARD
Ricevimento: By appointment: email: firstname.lastname@example.org phone: 010 335 2345
Ricevimento: by appointment: email: email@example.com phone: 010 353 2389
DIEGO VILLA (President)
STEFANO GAGGERO (President Substitute)
L'orario di tutti gli insegnamenti è consultabile all'indirizzo EasyAcademy.
Oral exam. If the number of student is considerable also a preliminary written exam can be planned.
The student must be able to expose clearly all the topics explained during the lessons.