|SCIENTIFIC DISCIPLINARY SECTOR||BIO/03|
The mycology is the discipline which studies the fungi, unicellular and multicellular organisms, object of investigation, both by the microbiologists and naturalists. Fungi play a fundamental role in the economy of nature and human, present in all environmental compartments, today, they are protagonists in many innovative biotechnologies. Knowing and studying them makes it possible not only to understand the phenomena in which they are involved, including pathologies, but also to be able to adequately exploit them in various biotechnological fields including environmental bioremediation.
The teaching aims to provide the basic elements of mycology (biology, ecology, systematics); to illustrate the importance of fungi in the economy of nature, man, biodegradation and biotechnology. Topics in the field of mycopathology will also be addressed, considering various aspects of human and animal mycology, as well as plant pathology.
Attendance, active participation in face-to-face classes together with individual study will allow the student to
- to know in synthesis the history of mycology also in relation to botany;
- to know the morphological, metabolic, reproductive, trophic, and ecological characteristics of fungal organisms;
- to understand the evolution and have the basic notions of modern fungal taxonomy;
- to learn the methodology to identify macrofungi on a morphological basis.
General notions of general biology, molecular biology, and biochemistry are necessary to deal with the contents of the teaching.
The teaching consists of lectures and practical activities, delivered through multimedia presentations. Class attendance is highly recommended.
The lectures and practical experiences will be carried out in presence, in case this is not possible, the lessons will also be delivered remotely via synchronous video.
Any activities in presence will be carried out as provided for by the regulations in force following the COVID19 emergency.
The program of module includes the presentation and discussion of the following topics.
- Brief history of mycology and relations with botany.
- General characteristics of fungal organisms (including lichen fungi): structure, ultrastructure, growth, and differentiation. Modes of sexual and asexual reproduction. Nutrition. General aspects of metabolism. Factors influencing the development of fungi.
- Role of fungi in natural systems. Ecological strategies. Mutualistic and pathosistic symbiosis. Entomopathogenic and mycoparasite fungi.
- Fungi as bioremediation agents (nods) and some applications in biotechnology (nods).
- Nods to modern taxonomy and synthetic illustration of the main phyla.
- Essential method for the recognition of edible mushroom on a morphological basis.
The multimedia teaching material used by the teacher during the lectures and practical activities will be available on AulaWeb at the end of the cycle of lectures / laboratory exercises.
The texts listed below are supporting texts and are available at the library of Scuola di Scienze M.F.N:
MIRCA ZOTTI (President)
SIMONE DI PIAZZA (President Substitute)
MAURO MARIOTTI (Substitute)
The lessons of the first semester will begin on ? September 2022 and will end by ? January 2023, the lessons of the second semester will begin on ? February 2023 and will end by ? June 2023.
See detailed timetable at the following link: https://easyacademy.unige.it/portalestudenti/
All class schedules are posted on the EasyAcademy portal.
The examination consists of an oral test during which the student must answer questions on the topics covered in the lectures and practical activities.
The oral examination will focus on the topics covered during the lectures and practical activities. The aim is to evaluate the degree of learning, autonomy, synthesis, and exhibition skills achieved by the student.
The exam could take place on the Teams platform, if required by the authorities. Due to COVID-19 emergency, users are invited to refer to AulaWeb site to get updated info regarding the exams.
The regular attendance of the lessons is strongly recommended.