|SCIENTIFIC DISCIPLINARY SECTOR||ICAR/12|
|MODULES||Questo insegnamento è un modulo di:|
AIMS AND CONTENT
AIMS AND LEARNING OUTCOMES
The training path is aimed at the acquisition of the following skills:
- to know how to identify, analyze and "weigh" the values of the architectural production of the twentieth century, also on the basis of elements of architectural criticism and historiography, in order to set up projects of conservation, redevelopment under a shared approach;
- to be able to recognize and correctly describe the structural concepts and construction characters of recently built buildings and their behaviour over time (in terms of "durability");
- to be able to identify and describe the forms of degradation and functional deficit, of possible instability, as well as the causes and concomitant causes that can induce them;
- to know how to recognize possible conflicts between the objectives of enhancement and refurbishment (e.g. energy) and conservation of the values previously identified;
- to be able to select the methods and techniques of maintenance, restoration, consolidation, requalification according to the problems identified each time;
- to be able to apply the acquired knowledge to correctly set design problems of recovery, redevelopment and reuse.
The module is articulated in frontal lessons, eventually integrated with external seminars, visits and inspections also in collaboration with the School of Specialisation in Architectural Heritage and Landscape of the University of Genoa. The module in temporal continuity with the Laboratory of restoration and valorization of Cultural Heritage, can constitute occasion to deepen some thematic that will emerge from the laboratory exercises but it has an its didactic autonomy and it is turned to all the students interested to deepen technical and methodological thematic devoted to the architectural design on existing buildings. During the lessons are taken as an example paradigmatic case studies, on which students can simulate design approaches.
The lectures address the following fundamental topics:
1) The Heritage of the early twentieth century: materials, structural concepts, degradation and interventions (with particular reference to stone and ceramic coatings). Overview of problems and exemplary cases of "Conservation of the Modern".
2) The Heritage of the mid-twentieth century: the brutalism of Carlo Scarpa, the reconstruction plan INA-Casa: architectural values, construction methods, problems of degradation and functional deficit (with particular reference to the degradation of reinforced concrete and restoration techniques).
3) Door and window frames and curtain walls, iron window elements: degradation problems, performance deficit and rehabilitation interventions with high performance products.
4) Energy refurbishment of the architectural heritage: architectural compatibility criteria and intervention techniques.
5) Building industrialisation and problems of refurbishment of social housing settlements
The examination of the technical topics is framed within cultural contexts and horizons of broader reference, also taking as an example recent projects and achievements.
G. Franco, Atlante cronologico del Novecento in Italia pagg. 267-301 in AA. VV, Atlante della riqualificazione, UTET, Torino, 2009. Any other teaching materials, even in english language, will be made available in aulaweb.
TEACHERS AND EXAM BOARD
Ricevimento: The teacher will receive sudents on appointment to be fixed sending email to: email@example.com
GIOVANNA FRANCO (President)
STEFANO FRANCESCO MUSSO
L'orario di tutti gli insegnamenti è consultabile all'indirizzo EasyAcademy.
The evaluation of learning outcomes takes place with a final oral exam, during which students can help themselves with graphic schematisations that will help them to correctly expose technical arguments. Students can also be asked to answer specific questions that arise from the observation of documentary material provided by the teacher (photographs, drawings, videos).
The oral exam allows to verify the ability to analyse and understand the problems of different nature that affect the buildings of the twentieth century and to set in a correct and shared way, careful to the values still existing, projects of modification, enhancement and reuse, with particular attention to the technical solutions adopted.
They constitute parameters of evaluation of the examination: