|SCIENTIFIC DISCIPLINARY SECTOR||SPS/07|
Sociology is the study of social life, social change, and the social causes and consequences of human behavior. This course offers a general introduction to sociology, with the aim to understand and apply key sociological concepts and social theories. The primary objective of this course is to awaken students’ sociological imagination, by helping them realize how social forces and social environments affect human behavior in multiple and complex ways. Beginning with an overview of core sociological ideas on how societies are organized, and analyzing the inherent strengths and issues within different social arrangements, the course will then explore these sociological principles through concrete case studies.
By the end of this course, students will be able to:
- Know the historical, social and cultural background of sociology;
- Know the main currents of sociology through the works of classical authors;
- Know the fundamentals of logic and sociological reasoning;
- Identify the main trends of contemporary sociology;
- Recognize the different methodologies and techniques applied to social research;
- Interpret the main critical processes influencing contemporary society in the fields of education, migration and globalization;
- Know the various aspects of cultural differentiation and the relationship between society and culture;
- Analyze the main concepts of sociological theory such as power, inequality, stratification and socialization.
All class schedules are posted on the EasyAcademy portal.