|SCIENTIFIC DISCIPLINARY SECTOR||ING-IND/33|
94669 – CRITICAL ENERGY INFRASTRUCTURES MODELLING AND SIMULATION
Scientific domain: ING-IND/33 Electrical Power Systems
European Credit Transfer System Credits (ECTS): 5
Year: Second year of the M.Sc. in Engineering for Natural Risk Management
Lessons schedule: according to Polytechnic School timetable
Lecturer: STEFANO BRACCO + External lecturer
The course is focused on the modelling and simulation of critical energy infrastructures, such as smart grids, electricity production plants, electrical storage systems and transmission lines, considering also electrical system faults; the planning and the operation of the aforementioned energy infrastructures composed of different interconnected systems will be analyzed and the main characteristics of the electric system will be discussed.
The main objective of the course is to enable students to acquire knowledge in the field of electrical power systems and, in particular, critical energy infrastructures. At the end of the course, students will have acquired the necessary skills to develop models of electrical power systems focusing on safety aspects, with particular reference to: electrical risk in networks; lightning; faults; reliability models. They will also be able to develop technical and economic analyses and optimisation and simulation models of production, transmission, distribution and storage systems, with a focus on the smart grids/microgrids/nanogrids sector and the electric mobility sector.
Knowledge of power systems and energy systems.
Knowledge of mathematical analysis and systems theory.
Theoretical and applied lectures (computer exercises).
The following topics will be addressed:
- the national and European electricity system (production, transmission, distribution): technological and regulatory aspects ("Clean Energy for all Europeans" package of the European Commission);
- smart grids/microgrids/nanogrids: technological, environmental and economic aspects; the Smart Polygeneration Microgrid of the Savona Campus;
- electric storage systems and electric mobility systems;
- reliability and vulnerability of electricity grids and basic concepts of electrical safety;
- methods for electrical risk assessment;
- risk of explosion and the ATEX directive;
- fault analysis in electrical installations;
- development of simulation and optimisation models for complex energy systems;
- reliability models for electrical power systems.
Books and papers suggested by the lecturer.
STEFANO BRACCO (President)
RENATO PROCOPIO (President Substitute)
All class schedules are posted on the EasyAcademy portal.
The examination consists of a written test during which the student is asked to answer theoretical questions or solve numerical exercises.
Students with learning disorders ("disturbi specifici di apprendimento", DSA) will be allowed to use specific modalities and supports that will be determined on a case-by-case basis in agreement with the delegate of the Engineering courses in the Committee for the Inclusion of Students with Disabilities.
Evaluation of theoretical knowledge and practical methodologies in the field of critical energy infrastructures. Verification of the ability to develop optimisation and simulation models in this field and electrical risk analysis.