|SCIENTIFIC DISCIPLINARY SECTOR
|Questo insegnamento è un modulo di:
The Course of Pediatrics provides knowledge of health-related problems and diseases from the neonatal period to adolescence. Students will acquire the crucial elements that will help to collect the medical history, to perform medical examination and interpret laboratory tests and / or instrumental data in many conditions affecting the newborn, the child and the adolescent
AIMS AND CONTENT
AIMS AND LEARNING OUTCOMES
Knowledge of the essential steps of neonatal activity from the delivery room to the care of the healthy newborn.
The ability to carry out a complete clinical examination will be provided in order to differentiate the clinical-therapeutic choices in the newborn and in the child / adolescent. The main notions on the pathophysiology of growth, pubertal development and the differential diagnosis of systemic diseases that can compromise growth will be provided. Notions will be provided on neonatal screening and on the management of the different conditions diagnosed through the screening, pain therapy).
The Pediatric Course is divided into 414 hours :
- 46 hours face to face dedicated to the following areas and topics: Neonatology/healthy neonates and neonatal diseases (delivery room, breast feeding), neonatal respiratory distress, perinatal infections, jaundice, sepsis, etc.
Growth and development: developmental anomalies that require specific approach and work-up: mini-puberty, delayed puberty, adrenal hyperplasia; thyroid dysfunction, obesity, the various forms of anemia, etc.
Other Pediatric diseases: recurrent infections, respiratory diseases and cystic fibrosis. The child with GI tract disturbances including vomiting and diarrhea.
Recognize diabetes mellitus and chetoacidosis and management.
Describe inherited metabolic disorders osteoarticular diseases, inflammatory and rheumatological diseases (rheumatic fever and
multisystem inflammatory syndrome), management of pain; palliative care
Hematological diseases including anemia, clotting abnormalities, leukemia, etc.
N. 48 hours Seminar activities with discussion of clinical cases to:
- approach to the neonatal distress by using mannequins (cardiorespiratory emergencies neonatal)
- Clinical cases with endocrine diseases, diabetes and metabolic disorders, rheumatology end cystic fibrosis
with related discussion by both the teacher and the student
- 256 hours of practice in contact with the
patient in the wards of Neonatal unit and clinical university in convention with l’Institute
-No. 64 hours of lessons at the Simulation Center with the teaching method divided into two phases:
phase 1 theoretical lessons (with video lessons)
in which the principles and phases of the topic are explained
phase 2 practical lesson in which the student applies
directly on the simulator the notions learned and the
experiment by changing his cultural background
through the feedback with the simulator depending
of the actions taken. At the end of the lesson the learner will have acquired greater competence.
These lessons are held only in presence
Congenital heart disease and pediatric emergencies
Discussion of the main types of screening in newborn and children.
- Newborn problems: Physical examination of the newborn, development of the fetus, full-term, preterm and small for gestational age,
with all the neonatal problems.
- Growth and development: Recognize growth impairment: statural, proportionate and disproportionate, hypothalamic-pituitary diseases affecting growth, puberty, obesity, thyroid and other functions
- Pediatric diseases: respiratory diseases, gastrointestinal diseases, and infectious diseases including vaccinations)
-Immunodeficiencies in childhood. Autoinflammatory disease (periodic fevers and fevers of unknown origin)
-Essential pediatrics. Treatise on Pediatric Clinic and Therapy. Authors R. Burgio and coll., year 2015
- Slide-sharing of the teachers presentations that can be downloaded from “Aula web”
TEACHERS AND EXAM BOARD
PASQUALE STRIANO (President)
ELISA DE GRANDIS
NATASCIA DI IORGI
MARIA MARGHERITA MANCARDI
LUCA ANTONIO RAMENGHI
MARIA CRISTINA SCHIAFFINO
CLARA MALATTIA (President and Coordinator of Integrated Course)
2nd semester 2023 (March - June 2023)
L'orario di tutti gli insegnamenti è consultabile all'indirizzo EasyAcademy.
The Pediatrics exam consists of an oral test. Students who have attended at least 75% of the lessons and practice will be admitted.
Oral examination will aim to verify the proper knowledge based on the acquisition during the entire pediatric ocurse.
The student must obtain a minimal score of at 18/30 up to 30/30 cum laude and after demonstrating:
-Knowledge of understanding of the different areas of pediatrics covered during the course;
- adequate level of awareness of the subjects covered during the course.
- Ability to analyze pediatric cases based on the signs and symptoms.
The final judgment will be based on:
- Ability to discuss the topics in a critical manner;
- Accuracy, simplicity, synthesis and correctness;
- Wide knowledge;
-Adoption of suitable medical terms.
A cum laude (with praise) will be will be granted based on excellent skills.
Aulaweb: Integrated Course of Pediatrics
Course coordinator: Prof. Clara Malattia
The Coordinator, the Tutors, the lecturers and the Tutors of the Integrated Course of Pediatrics are available and can be contacted at their e-mail addresses published on the University of Genova (UNIGE) website.