|SCIENTIFIC DISCIPLINARY SECTOR
The course aims to providing an overview of the enabling technologies, working principles, and applications of biosensors as well as microsystems of interest in biomedicine. Specific transduction principles and fabrication processes will be detailed with a quantitative approach. The peculiar possibilities offered by biosensors and microsystems in medical diagnostics, disease treatment and therapy will be highlighted.
AIMS AND CONTENT
The aim of the course is to provide the basic concepts of biosensing in terms of sensing elements (suitable biomolecules and their immobilization strategies), recognition mechanisms (biocalattic and affinity based) and transducing principles (focusing on electrochemical and optical transducers). Some design principles based on target specifications will be also given as well as an overview of the main application fields of biosensors. The second part of the course aims at introducing the main concepts of microsystems applied to biomedicine and biotechnology, with emphasis on the scaling laws governing miniaturization, the fabrication techniques, and some specific aspects such as microfluidics and integration.
AIMS AND LEARNING OUTCOMES
- to understand working principles of biosensors
- to read and understand the biosensor "jargon"
- to critically view their potential applications and advantages compared to standard analytical techniques
• chemical- and bio-sensor definitions
• most important figures of merit
• biorecognition elements and immobilization procedures
• transducing principles
• main areas of applications
• to get an overview of
– the main components of a microsystem
– the physical phenomena ruling at the microscale
• to learn the most common fabrication technologies for microsystems (to become familiar with the possibilities and limitations of such technologies)
• to get an overview the main biomedical applications of microsytems and products on the market
• to see some future trends and promising technologies
Basic knowledge of biochemistry and physics
- lectures in the classroom
- flipped classroom for some topics.
- one labwork
• basic concepts of Chemical- and Bio- Sensors
– physical/chemical/bio sensor definitions/classification
– molecular bonds
– proteins (antibodies, enzymes) and nucleic acids
– sensor characteristics
• molecular sensing elements (bioreceptors)
• immobilization techniques
• amperometric/potentiometric electrodes
• introduction (definitons, some examples, miniaturization)
• scaling laws
• silicon microfabrication techniques
• alternative microfabrication techniques
• microsystems in biotechnology and medicine
Slide and other teaching materials will be provided
Additional materials will be made avaiable on the course aualweb page
TEACHERS AND EXAM BOARD
ROBERTO RAITERI (President)
LAURA PASTORINO (President Substitute)
L'orario di tutti gli insegnamenti è consultabile all'indirizzo EasyAcademy.
The ezam will consist in an oral test
The aim of the exam will be to evaluate the level of the learning outcomes of the course reached by the student.
|Esame su appuntamento
|Esame su appuntamento