|SCIENTIFIC DISCIPLINARY SECTOR
AIMS AND CONTENT
The course intendes to provide students with the theoretical knowledge of the main classes of organic contaminants and their analytical determination in different matrices (environmental, food, biological, etc.).
AIMS AND LEARNING OUTCOMES
The course intends to provide students with the theoretical knowledge of the most important classes of organic contaminants and their analytical determination in different matrices (environmental, food, biological, etc.). In particular, different classes of organic contaminants will be considered, the ones traditionally studied (Persistent Organic Pollutants, POPs) and those of more recent scientific interest, the so-called emerging contaminants, including, among others, drugs and substances used in products for personal care, flame retardants, endocrine disruptors, perfluorinated substances. The different sample preparation methods and instrumental methods (LC-MS, GC-MS) most suitable for the determination of the substances under examination will be illustrated, considering, in addition to their chemical-physical characteristics, also important factors such as their concentration, type of matrix and its complexity, the possible presence of interferents.
At the end of the course students will be able to
- know and describe the main classes of organic contaminants, their chemical-physical characteristics, the main matrices in which their analysis is carried out, the most common problems related to their determination
- know the main matrices in which their analysis is carried out and the most common problems related to their determination
- identify, among the different sample preparation methods and the different instrumental analytical techniques, those most suitable for their determination in different matrices, also considering the notions learned during the analytical chemistry courses already attended
- describe in technical language the stages of sample preparation and the subsequent instrumental analysis
- communicate effectively in written and oral form, adapting one's communication to the context, using various sources and aids, exercising critical thinking; using, processing and evaluating information, exercising argumentative skills
- identifying one's skills, showing ability to concentrate and critically reflect on a task
- manage their own social interactions, developing a cooperative attitude and constructive communication skills in different environments, respect others and their needs,be willing to overcome prejudices, express and understand different points of view, learning to manage possible conflicts, build trust, empathy
- being aware of one's preferred learning strategies, organizing and evaluating personal learning according to what is understood and learned.
Attending lessons is not compulsory, although strongly recommended. The course will alternate lectures in Italian with group work, favoring case studies and project teaching. Activities will also be organized to encourage an active approach for the solution of an analytical problem.
The bibliographic research for the solution of an analytical problem.
The "classic" organic contaminants (pesticides, polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, polychlorinated biphenyls, polychlorinated dibenzodioxins, organotin compounds ...) and their characteristics. Analytical techniques for their extraction, purification, preconcentration and analysis in different matrices (environmental, food, biological).
The problem of "emerging contaminants" (drugs, personal care products, brominated flame retardants, perfluorinated compounds, ...); their characteristics and peculiarities. Endocrine disruptors, characteristics and their possible effect on organisms. Analytical techniques for their extraction, purification, preconcentration and analysis in different matrices (environmental, food, biological).
Slides of the lectures and further teaching material (scientific articles, regulations, different material for a detailed study) available on the Aulaweb platform.
TEACHERS AND EXAM BOARD
MARINA DI CARRO (President)
MARIA CARMELA IANNI
BARBARA BENEDETTI (President Substitute)
FRANCISCO ARDINI (Substitute)
EMANUELE MAGI (Substitute)
From March 4, 2024
L'orario di tutti gli insegnamenti è consultabile all'indirizzo EasyAcademy.
Students wishing to take the exam must book within 2 days in advance on: https://servizionline.unige.it/studenti/esami/prenotazione.
- group and/or personal paper with an in-depth study of a case study or a topic of the course, previously agreed upon with the teacher.
- individual oral interview
The presentation of a paper allows to verify the students' learning in putting into practice the new informations, verifying skills of different types (choice of bibliographic sources, correctness of technical language, ability to synthesize and critical reflection, ability to make connections to concepts already addressed in the other analytical chemistry courses).
The oral interview will allow to evaluate:
- the ability to use the skills developed in different contexts
Evaluation criteria are:
- the quality of the oral presentation,
- the correct use of the specialist vocabulary,
- the capacity for analysis and critical reflection, even on already discussed or hypothetical cases .