|SCIENTIFIC DISCIPLINARY SECTOR
|Questo insegnamento è un modulo di:
AIMS AND CONTENT
AIMS AND LEARNING OUTCOMES
The student will acquire comprehensive and solid skills in molecular biology, with a particular focus on gene expression in eukaryotes. They will have an in-depth understanding of the mechanisms regulating the transcription and translation of genes, as well as the methods used to manipulate and analyze DNA. Moreover, they will be able to apply this knowledge to solve practical problems in the field of molecular biology
Frontal lessons, guided discussions. Attendance is mandatory.
The program includes ten lessons covering various aspects of molecular biology. The topics include the encoding of genetic information, the regulation of gene expression in bacteria and eukaryotes, mechanisms of transcription and translation, and experimental techniques in molecular biology.
List of lessons:
- Introduction to the course. Catalysis and biological processes. Levels of genetic information encoding. Examples of antibody coding.
- Regulation of gene expression in bacteria: operons. The Lac operon and the tryptophan operon.
- The regulation of gene expression in eukaryotes. Eukaryotic RNA polymerases. The regulation of PolII transcription.
- Obligatory and facultative transcription factors. Enhancers. Insulators. The control of the chromatin state. Histone code. Reading/writing complexes and propagation of epigenetic information.
- Comparison with regulation in eukaryotes. Eukaryotic RNA polymerases. The regulation of PolII transcription. Obligatory and facultative transcription factors. Enhancers. Insulators. The control of the chromatin state. Histone code. Reading/writing complexes and propagation of epigenetic information.
- Regulation of gene expression in eukaryotes. Alternative Splicing. Export and quality control. Regulators of messenger stability. Translation: regulation and accuracy.
- Techniques of molecular biology. Techniques of recombinant DNA.
- Recombinant DNA techniques. Library and screening for hybridization. In situ hybridization and Northern blot. Microarray.
- PCR and all its applications. Real-time PCR. Digital PCR.
- Nucleic acid sequencing. Classic techniques and NGS. Artificial gene transfer.
Bruce Alberts Dennis Bray Karen Hopkin Alexander Johnson Julian Lewis Martin Raff Keith Roberts Peter Walter
L'essenziale di biologia molecolare della cellula
TEACHERS AND EXAM BOARD
Ricevimento: Tuesday at 12:00 PM at CBA A3, Room 31. Students wishing to attend must book by email (email@example.com) at least one day in advance.
SARA TAVELLA (President and Coordinator of Integrated Course)
L'orario di tutti gli insegnamenti è consultabile all'indirizzo EasyAcademy.
The exam is conducted in a written format with questions covering all the topics discussed during the course. The exam consists of a multiple-choice test with 15 questions. During the exam, students are allowed to use notes and texts to answer the multiple-choice questions.
The evaluation will be based on the correctness of the answers provided during the final exam, which aims to verify the assimilation of the topics covered and the ability to connect and apply the acquired knowledge.