- DOCTOR OF PHILOSOPHY
- Duration and credits
- Free access
Admission to the PhD Course is subject to an entry examination, which is typically announced each year in spring. Exact information and details are published on the dedicated webpage that contains the list of courses, number of available PhD positions and grant opportunities as well as the dates, venues, and content of the entry test.
Each PhD will have specific entry requirements and examination for their programme, which will be listed on the Departmental pages. Please note that you may be asked to sit an interview or a written examination depending on the PhD programme you are applying for.
Candidates who pass the entry examination are placed on a constantly updated merit list, i.e. a list of suitable candidates, showing the allocated PhD positions.
Applicants who are admitted to the PhD courses must submit or send to the "Unige Servizio Alta Formazione" the application form by the deadline - as mentioned above all details are to be found in the notice of competition issued in spring.
The PhD regulations are available on the dedicated webpage.
The IMEG PhD covers 5 curricula on wide area of topics for industrial applications with particular reference to:
- Mechanics Applied to Machines
- Industrial Design and Construction of Machines
- Drawings and Methods of Industrial Engineering
- Metallurgy and Materials Science and Technology
- Industrial and Environmental Technical Physics
- Nuclear Engineering
- Technologies and Processing Systems
- Industrial Mechanical and Economic-Management
- Financial Engineering
Also interdisciplinary methodologies are offered for advanced and autonomous research skills, through a methodological training and specialist on innovative scientific topics.
The training courses are divided into five learning outcomes:
- Mechanics, Measurements and Materials (MMM)
- Technical Physics (FT)
- Technologies and Plants (IT)
- Economics and Management (EG)
- Robotis and Mechatronics (RM - international curriculum)
Some general aspects are also developed:
- mathematical, physical-chemical and IT studies
- research management and protection of intellectual property
- other transversal skills such as ability to speak in public and paper writing
Doctoral courses in Italy are the academic reference for the training of young people who intend to pursue university and research careers. Recent studies (DOXA) on the employment situation of our PhDs show excellent satisfaction in industry about our PhDs. Among PhD IMEG doc doctorates 5% is university professor, 30% continues as a research fellow, 40% is employed in industrial or professional work, about 15% in public institutions.
The main sectors are:
- civil and industrial plant engineering
- energy systems
- management systems
- machine construction
Head of programme
Welcome to the PhD programme in Mechanical, energy and management engineering.
We are committed to support PhD students in all of their activities, laboratory, individual discussions and international collaborations. Our PhD specialization curricula face all major challenges and continuous advancement for human being. Research and technological development are our main goals. We want you to become part of this development.
This is a short list of institution in collaboration with us:
- Tianjin University (China)
- Techniche universitat Iimenau (Germany)
- Leibniz Universitt Hannover (Germany)
- Kings college London, University of London (United Kingdom)
- CERTH - Center for Research and Techology (Greece)
- Vytautas Magnus University - Kaunas (lithuania)
- UASLP - Universidad autonama de San Luis Potosì (Mexico)
- University of Twente (Netherlands)
- Universidad Nova de Lisboa (Portugal)
- Bauman Moscow State technical university (Russian Federation)
- Chalmers university of technology (Sweden)
To learn more, please visit the dedicated PhD course website.