|SCIENTIFIC DISCIPLINARY SECTOR||ING-IND/10|
|MODULES||This unit is a module of:|
Heat and Mass Transfer gives the engineer a firm grounding in the fundamental processes of conduction, convection and radiation heat transfer in buildings. Topics covered include transient conduction, forced convection in internal and external flow, free convection, lumped heat capacity analysis, two and three-dimensional heat transfer, radiation exchange between surfaces. Extensive applications in the field of buildings and civil engineering will be developed.
The module aims at providing to the students advanced knowledge about the following topics:
- Thermal analysis of buildings
- Techno-economic valuation of energy efficiency interventions in existing buildings
- Development of specific calculation models
On the successful completion of the module, the students will be able to:
- To solve problems of heat exchange in different typologies of buildings
- To estimate the thermal loads in different typologies of buildings
- To propose energy efficiency interventions in existing buildings
- To develop techno-economic analysis of energy efficiency interventions
- To implement techno-economic spreadsheets based calculations models
Frontal lectures in classroom; Practical sessions in classroom; Computed based case studies in classroom developed in small groups
The course will be delivered in on-line modality for the I Semester of the 2020/2021 Accademic Year.
Review of fundamental knowledge of heat transfer; Heat exchange in semi-infinite bodies; Definition of degrees day (HDDs and CDDs); Evaluation of thermal loads in buildings; Lumped system models; Time discretization of heat conduction equation; Economic analysis of energy efficiency measures; Ventilated roofs and walls; Introduction of the concept of “embodied energy”.
Building Heat Transfer. M.G. Davies. John Wiley & Sons
Heat and Mass Transfer. Y. Cengel McGraw-Hill
Office hours: On request
Office hours: By appointment to be agreed with the teacher.
VINCENZO BIANCO (President)
CORRADO SCHENONE (President Substitute)
LUCA ANTONIO TAGLIAFICO (President Substitute)
All class schedules are posted on the EasyAcademy portal.
The final examination will be based on an oral colloquium, where questions based on theoretical and applicative issues will be asked.
During the colloquium, the following parameters will be evaluated:
- Quality of the oral exposition
- Correctness of the language
- Capacity to analyze critically the proposed questions