|SCIENTIFIC DISCIPLINARY SECTOR||SPS/02|
The course explores the main problems of the contemporary political-philosophical debate. The object of study are the authors' analyses concerning political power, its characters, forms and protagonists.
The course explores the main problems of contemporary political-philosophical debate. At the end of the course, the student will have acquired the ability to critically interpret the debate on the most relevant aspects of politics and to infer elements of continuity and discontinuity with current affairs.
At the end of the course, the student will have acquired the ability to critically interpret the debate on the most relevant aspects of politics and to infer elements of continuity and discontinuity with current affairs.
The teaching involves 54 hours (equivalent to 9 CFUs).
The course will be held in a blended mode, i.e., in-person, but with concurrent lecture delivery via the Teams platform (code: zaijfex)
Themes, problems and authors of Contemporary Political Thought, with a particular focus on Mosca, Weber, Luxemburg, Gramsci, Potter Webb, Dewey, Weil, Kelsen, Schmitt, Morgenthau, Arendt, Aron, Wight, and Rawls.
- R. Gherardi (ed.), La politica e gli Stati. Problemi e figure del pensiero occidentale, Roma, Carocci Editore, 2022 (First section, chapters: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12; second section: Mosca, Weber, Luxemburg, Gramsci, Potter Webb, Dewey, Weil, Kelsen, Schmitt, Morgenthau, Arendt, Aron, Wight, Rawls)
2) One of the following text at student’s choice:
- H. Arendt, Le origini del totalitarismo.
- E. Canetti, Massa e potere.
- W. Lippmann, L’opinione pubblica.
- J. Ortega y Gasset, La ribellione delle masse.
- G. Le Bon, Psicologia delle folle.
3) One of the following text at student’s choice:
- N. Urbinati, Io, il popolo. Come il populismo trasforma la democrazia, Bologna, il Mulino, 2019.
- Y. Mény, Popolo ma non troppo. Il malinteso democratico, Bologna, il Mulino, 2019.
4) One of the following text at student’s choice:
- R. Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451.
- A. Huxley, Il nuovo mondo.
- G. Orwell, 1984.
- G. Orwell, La fattoria degli animali.
5) Students not attending the course should also add this text:
- K. R. Popper, Le fonti della conoscenza e dell’ignoranza, Bologna, il Mulino, 2000.
Office hours: On appointment, generally on Thursday morning (9-11 am) at Albergo Dei Poveri (Dipartimento di Scienze Politiche - Piazzale E. Brignole 3 a, Torre centrale - 4th floor). Otherwise on Teams (channel code: tz7ou3u) To arrange an appointment, please write to this email address: email@example.com.
13th February 2023
Monday: 8.00-10.00 am
Wednesday: 2.00-4.00 pm
Friday: 8.00-10.00 am
All class schedules are posted on the EasyAcademy portal.
The exam is aimed at assessing the acquired skills by the students in analysing the political ideas and political theories dealing with peace and war from a critical perspective and in using them in comprehending contemporary world politics.
Students with certification of DSA (Special educational needs), disability or other special educational needs are advised to contact both the contact person Prof. Aristide Canepa (firstname.lastname@example.org) and the lecturer at the beginning of the course to agree on teaching and examination modalities that, while respecting the teaching objectives, take into account individual learning patterns and provide suitable compensatory tools.