|SCIENTIFIC DISCIPLINARY SECTOR||ING-IND/01|
Prerequisites (for future units)
The main different between the Naval engineering and other industrial engineering is “the ship”.The course will give the basic knowledge related to the Naval architecture field, useful to proper conduct the bachelor degree, regardless of previous experiences.
The course aims to provide the elements for a correct identification of the hull surface and to introduce the student to the use of CAD methods for its generation and representation. They introduce the concepts inherent in the direct calculation of the geometric characteristics of sections and volumes characteristic of the hull .
The teaching method of the course provides two main interconnected activities. The first consists of a series of theoretical lectures in order to transmit the basic knowledge of naval/nautical engineering mandatory to a correct approach to the degree and a profitable formative path of the student. The second part provides a laboratory in which some CAD techniques dedicated to the hull geometric modeling will be shown. This last part provides the active development by the students of various exercises which, with the support of the teachers, will guarantee the continuous learning of the proposed tools. The continuous participation in the exercises will also allow students to self-assess their level of learning, thus ensuring a continuous assessment of the improvements achieved during the semester of the lesson.
The course is developed with:
- Basic hydrostatic calculations
-Hull shape definition by means of main naval CAD software
- Drawing and reading of ship lines planes
All class schedules are posted on the EasyAcademy portal.
Write and oral.
The assessment of the achievement of the expected results for the teaching includes:
1) two written tests in which the candidate will perform some numerical solutions of some typical naval problems. These tests will evaluate the numerical/mathematical skills of the candidate and the critical skills acquired by the student concerning the obtained results. The correctness of the calculations, of the formulas and the ability to independently identify a numerical error, if present, will be evaluated.
2) a laboratory test in order to assess the modeling skills acquired for the reference software. Abstraction and synthesis abilities will be evaluated, in order to obtain hull shapes corresponding to the reference hull. Therefore, spatial abstraction capability of the hull geometry and its reproduction on an IT support will be necessary.
3) a final oral exam aimed at assessing the global comprehension of the subject and the critical discussion of the previous tests. The presentation and technical skills assess by the candidate will be evaluated.