|SCIENTIFIC DISCIPLINARY SECTOR||L-LIN/14|
CONTEMPORARY GERMAN IN TRANSITION: ARCHAISMS, COLLOQUIALISMS, NEOLOGISMS
The course is a 9-credits-course consisting of
- a theoretical module of 30 hours (held in the 2nd semester) dealing with the history of German linguistics from the beginning to the recent theories;
- an applied module of 160 hours dedicated to the expanding and deeping of oral and written competence in the German language.
- Learning target of the class is to reach the C1.1 level (1st year) resp. C1.2 level (2nd year) in German language described in the guidelines of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment (CEFR).
- The objective of the course (theory module) is to provide students with a general understanding of linguistic change regarding recent developments in the German language.
- The objective of the course (theory module) is furthermore to introduce the topic of the contrast between oral and written German language and the current informalization of standard German.
- target of the practical language exercises is the acquisition of active and passive linguistic facilities in German and of competence in oral and written communication as requested in the guidelines for C1.1/C1.2 level of the CEF.
- After successful participation (theory module), students will have advanced knowledge about linguistic change in modern German.
- At the end of the course (theory module), students have acquired the linguistic competence to identify, categorize and analyze the differences between the written and oral registers of contemporary German and have knowledge about diachronic lexicology of contemporary German
Language level B2 (1st year) / C1.1 (2nd year) in German language is required for participation.
The theory lectures (30 lessons, 2nd semester) will be accompanied during the whole academic year by practical language exercises (80 lessons, yearlong). The theory lectures and the language classes begin in October 2022; the theory lectures starts in the 2nd semester (February 2023); time schedules, programs, instructors and auditoriums will be published in Aulaweb and will be announced on the websites of the single instructors at the end of September 2022. The language exercises include yearlong lessons in translation (40).
Lecture accompanied by language exercises. The theory lectures and the practical language exercises will take place in form of traditional classroom teaching. Modifications subject to eventual provisions regarding the development of the sanitary situation will be announced in Aulaweb.
In the theory class students will familiarize with the phenomenon of general linguistic change in contemporary German language with special emphasis on lexical change. Furthermore contrasts between oral and written language as well as lexical obsolescence and vocabulary innovation will be analyzed. In the class the special features of spoken German and its effects on standard language will be examined and discussed; examples of archaisms, colloquialisms and neologisms in different registers and in selected text types are issues of the class.
The practical language exercises which include translation exercises will bring the students from B2 level to C1.1 level (1st year) and from C1.1 level to C1.2 level (2nd year) according to the guidelines of the Common European Framework of Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment (CEF).
The program of the course is valid until February 2024 in accordance to the departmental regulation. The program of the exams is valid according to the study regulations until February 2022. Tha program is valid as well for students that will not attend class lessons. Bibliographical informations and other material will be published in Aulaweb.
Modulo teorico / Theoriemodul / Theoretical module
Further bibliographical and didactic material will be provided during the semester (Aulaweb).
Teaching materials will be communicated at the beginning of the semester by the lecturers and in Aulaweb.
Theoretical module: 30 hours, 2nd semester (February 2023). The courses scheduled for the academic year 2022/23 are expected to take place regularly .
Language learning modules: 1st + 2nd semester: first week of October, 2022. In accordance with the public health measures designed to contain the COVID-19, all courses are expected to take place regularly in classroom.
Schedule: see Aulaweb and website www.lingue.unige.it
written exam (50% del final mark)
written exam (essay writing) +
written translation exam (German-Italian)+
written exam (essay writing) +
(average of the marks of the exercise exams: 50% of the final mark)
The theory lessons will be concluded by an oral exam in which the arguments treated during the class will be asked about. The languages classes will be completed by written exams and an oral exam. During the oral exam at the end of the theory class the students have to provide evidence of their profound knowledge of the arguments dealt with during the lessons, the designed texts and the materials published in Aulaweb.
Inscription for the exams on the homepage of the University of Genoa (www.unige.it) at the link „servizi online per gli studenti“.
The exam is obligatory for students in the first and in the second year of the master course in "Modern Languages and Literatures for cultural Services" LM 37/38
The total exam consisting in theory class and language exercises is equivalent to 9 credit points.
Lessons will be held in German language.