|SCIENTIFIC DISCIPLINARY SECTOR||ING-IND/08|
The course deepens the physical aspects of different types of combustion by theoretical models and experimental data, and analyses requirements and design solutions of combustors for aeronautical applications.
The course provides the basic knowledge on combustion theoretical modeling and diagnostic techniques, and the applied know-how relevant for engineering applications.
At the end of the course the student will be able
- to understand the physical aspects of the combustion and their influence on flame size, stability and ignition;
- to know and apply simple combustion models for premixed and diffusion flames of gas, liquid droplets and solid particles;
- to discuss the requirements of the combustors for aeronautical applications and to identify appropriate design solutions;
- to understand the background physics and the implementation problems of the optical techniques for combustion diagnostics;
- to analyse experimental and numerical results in combustors
Theoretical and applied lectures: presentation and discussion of the theoretical contents, experimental and numerical results.
Principles of combustion, theoretical models and experimental data: detonation waves; premixed laminar and turbulent flames; ignition; flame stabilization; laminar and turbulent gaseous diffusion flames; combustion of a single liquid fuel droplet; atomization and sprays; burning of solids.
Optical techniques for combustion diagnostics: background physics; application fields and experimental considerations; spray diagnostics; applied combustion diagnostics in internal combustion engines and gas turbines.
Gas turbine combustors: design technology trends; fuel injection systems; flame stabilization; ignition performance; afterburners; low-emissions combustors.
S. R. Turns, An Introduction to Combustion, McGraw-Hill, 2011.
A. H. Lefebvre, Gas Turbine Combustion, Taylor & Francis, 1998.
MARINA UBALDI (President)
All class schedules are posted on the EasyAcademy portal.
Students with SLD, disability or other regularly certified special educational needs are advised to contact the instructor at the beginning of the course to agree on teaching and examination methods that, in compliance with the course objectives, take into account the individual learning requirements.
Discussion of at least two topics treated during the lectures.
The examination will be aimed at evaluating the knowledge level, the critical analysis skills, the clarity of exposition.
|16/02/2023||10:00||GENOVA||Esame su appuntamento|
|15/09/2023||10:00||GENOVA||Esame su appuntamento|