|SCIENTIFIC DISCIPLINARY SECTOR||ICAR/21|
|SECTIONING||This unit is divided into 2 sections:|
With reference to the modern and contemporary city, the course analyzes the processes of modification of the urban phenomenon (starting from the first industrial revolution) and the contextual definition of theories and tools of control and management space (with particular attention to urban planning and urban design).
The course gives students an understanding of the transformation processes that affect the city and the territory, and the methods for analyzing and governing these processes. The course provides basic knowledge on urban planning theories and practices, introducing the reading and interpretation of the contemporary city.
The course enables students to develop the following skills:
- Interpret and analyze cities, urban and territorial systems at different scales according to multi-disciplinary approaches.
- Develop analytical skills to understand the processes of formation and transformation of cities, urban and metropolitan regions.
- Understand the social, economic and technological conditions of the urban phenomenon.
- Understand the main theories and models of the modern and contemporary city.
- Develop the knowledge of the techniques in the elaboration of urban planning in their historical evolution.
- Understand the formal languages of urban planning.
The course does not include specific prerequisites. Knowledge of the basic elements of mathematics, architectural history and project theories is required.
The course includes lectures on theoretical-methodological topics, seminars and group discussions, possible educational trips and/or site visits in the Genoese urban context.
The course is intended to provide cultural references on the main issues of urban planning.
A. The urban phenomenon and the urbanization process
- Industrialization and urbanization: from the pre-modern city to the industrial city, from the metropolis to the megalopolis, from widespread urbanization to post-urban scenarios
- From the growing-city to urban transformation, from the shrinking city to urban regeneration
- Current issues: climate change, sustainability, urban regeneration
B. Urban planning and the evolution of its foundations
- City, territory and urban planning in the pre-industrial context
- The emergence of the industrial city
- The formation of "modern" urban planning: between utopias and sanitary reforms
- The birth of the "urban plan"
- Rise and decline of the doctrine of the Modern Movement
- Urban planning between the end of the old Millennium and the beginning of the new one: descriptions, plans and projects.
- The emergence of the urban project
- The horizons of urban regeneration
C. Elements of technique and urban planning
- The design of the urban system
- Density of the settlement and sizing of the plan
- Localization of urban functions and land use regulation
- The provision of public services and urban planning standards
- The conservation and recovery of the historic city
- Urban green space and ecological networks
D. Elements of spatial analysis
- Introduction to cartography and GIS
- Colarossi P., Latini A.P., 2008, La progettazione urbana (3 voll.), Milano: Il Sole 24 Ore Ed.
- Gabellini, P., 2015, Tecniche urbanistiche, Roma: Carocci.
- Gabellini P., 2019, Le mutazioni dell’urbanistica, Roma: Carocci.
- Gaeta L., Janin Rivolin U., Mazza L., 2022, Governo del territorio e pianificazione spaziale, Milano: Città Studi.
- Piroddi E., Cappuccitti A., 2012, Urbanistica è progetto di città, Ravenna: Maggioli.
History of the city and urban planning
- Choay F., 2000, La città. Utopie e realtà, Torino: Einaudi.
- Mamoli M., Trebbi G., 1988, Storia dell’urbanistica. L’Europa del secondo dopoguerra, Roma-Bari: Laterza.
- Morbelli G., 1997, Città e piani d’Europa, Bari: Dedalo.
- Sica P., 1985, Storia dell’Urbanistica. L'Ottocento (1 voll.), Roma-Bari: Laterza.
- Sica P., 1996, Storia dell’Urbanistica. Il Novecento, Roma-Bari: Laterza.
- Spagnoli L., 2008, Storia dell’urbanistica moderna (2 voll.), Bologna: Zanichelli.
Essays on urbanization Process
- Choay F., 1992, L’orizzonte del post-urbano, Roma: Officina Edizioni.
- De Carlo G., 2019, La città e il territorio, Macerata: Quodlibet.
- Indovina F., 2017, Ordine e disordine nella città contemporanea, Milano: Franco Angeli.
- Lanzani A., 2015, Città territorio urbanistica tra crisi e contrazione, Milano: Franco Angeli.
- Magnaghi A., 2020, Il principio territoriale, Torino: Bollati Boringhieri.
- Secchi B., 2005, La città del XX secolo, Roma-Bari: Laterza.
All class schedules are posted on the EasyAcademy portal.
The exam focuses on the topics covered in class, on the reading of a monograph among those indicated in the bibliography, on the presentation of exercises of urban planning technique.
Oral interview on the topics of the program.