|SCIENTIFIC DISCIPLINARY SECTOR||SECS-P/12|
The enterprise is one of the central players in economic development. The course analyses the evolution of the enterprise from a historical perspective within the more general economic and social changes that have occurred since the Early Modern Age. Students will acquire the basic tools to analyze and understand the factors that have conditioned the evolution of the structure, organization, and management of enterprises in the long run.
The course aims to provide a systematic-interpretative framework of the most significant changes that have characterized the evolution of enterprises from an economic-history perspective.
At the end of the course, students should be able to:
- identify the main stages of economic development from the pre-industrial era to the dawn of the 21st century and understand how they have influenced the evolution of the enterprise;
- assess the importance of the factors that have conditioned the evolution of the structure, organization, and management of enterprises in the long run;
- apply the acquired knowledge on a conceptual and operational level with independent judgment;
- express themselves using correctly the technical language typical of the field.
Students should possess basic notions of Economics and Business Administration.
Frontal lectures (in Italian).
The most relevant topics will be:
1) Types of enterprise in pre-industrial economies
2) The advent of mercantilism and the birth of joint-stock companies
3) The enterprise in the first industrial revolution
4) The second industrial revolution and the rise of big business
5) The enterprise facing the economic change in the contemporary age
6) The state as entrepreneur: the role of public enterprise
For textbooks and teaching material in English, Erasmus students are invited to contact the lecturer during office hours.
Office hours: Please contact the lecturer by e-mail.
ANDREA ZANINI (President)
See the teaching calendar of the Department.
All class schedules are posted on the EasyAcademy portal.
Written examination, with multiple choice and open ended questions.
The exam assesses the level of knowledge and understanding of the course contents.