|SCIENTIFIC DISCIPLINARY SECTOR||CHIM/10|
|MODULES||This unit is a module of:|
The module aims to deepen food knowledge about the chemical-bromatological composition, the formulation, the nutritional and regulatory aspects of food products for health purposes such as: foods with nutritional and / or health claims, supplements, "nutraceuticals".
The use of some of these food products in the context of specific physiological needs (adolescents, elderly, pregnancy, breastfeeding, athletes, ...) and the possible interaction with pharmacological therapies is also discussed. These are then applied to the study of some formulations taken as an example.
The main training objectives are
• provide a chemical base on the different types of food supplements and functional foods;
• apply this information to some products on the market
• favor the development of a critical spirit that allows the development of an autonomous point of view in the face of the multiple requests received from the media regarding issues relating to the relationship between food and health;
At the end of the course the student will be able to:
• summarize the different topics covered
• know the differences between food supplements, drugs and dietary products
• connect the different topics covered
Frontal lessons with the involvement of students about the topics to deal with, on the basis of students' personal experiences and interests.
Definition and framing of functional foods and dietary supplements in the landscape of foods with health activities
Composition and label presentation
Quality and safety
Examples of formulations with special reference to those intended for use in sports, women's health, aging
Evangelisti F. Restani P. Prodotti Dietetici - Chimica, tecnologia e Impiego - PICCIN Ed.
BRUNO TASSO (President)
For lessons start and timetable go to the link: https://easyacademy.unige.it/portalestudenti/
Please check the module Aulaweb page for timetable updates dependent on the sanitary and epidemic situation.
All class schedules are posted on the EasyAcademy portal.
A report / oral presentation on a topic agreed with the lecturer is required
For any questions about the program and the activities of the module, contact the lecturer via email (Raffaella.Boggia@unige.it)
Students with Specific Learning Disability (SLD) certification, disability or other particular educational need are advised to contact the lecturer at the beginning of the module to agree on teaching and exam methods which, in compliance with the educational objectives of the same module, provide adequate compensatory tools.