|SCIENTIFIC DISCIPLINARY SECTOR||SPS/12|
The course will explore - joining theoretical perspective and practical dimensions - the sociology of deviance with regard to juvenile justice. Specifically, it will address the evolution of the representation of juvenile deviance and the corresponding forms of control. Furthermore, special attention will be devoted to the origin of juvenile justice and its contemporary procedures, through the discussion of specific case studies.
AIMS AND CONTENT
The course explores a variety of different themes within sociology of deviance and juvenile delinquency. It aims to encourage students to move beyond a mere theoretical approach in order to comprehend the ordinary administration of deviance, with a particular attention to the juvenile justice system.
AIMS AND LEARNING OUTCOMES
The course aims at
- Developing a critical evaluation of academic ideas on deviance, marginality and juvenile delinquency and their translation into real-world environment.
- Acquiring better knowledge of social control structures and everyday practices of prevention, with a particular attention to the juvenile justice system;
- Providing a broader insight into the new transformations of the increasingly permeable boundary between social control and care practices
Upon completion of the course students will be able to develop critical and analytical skills about:
- academic ideas about and media representations of marginality and delinquency in real-world situations;
- social phenomena related to them;
- logics and working practices in Italian Juvenile Justice System.
Combination of traditional lectures, tutorials and classroom discussions on case studies.
The course is ideally structured in three parts. The first is dedicated to the main theoretical developments and empirical research in the field of sociology of deviance, with particular attention to the representation of juvenile delinquency. The second will focus on the birth and development of the Juvenile Court in Italy. Finally, the third will examine some practical cases concerning both the organization of the main juvenile justice institutions and their impacts on families and juveniles.
-T. Platt, Salvare i bambini. L’invenzione della delinquenza giovanile, Mimesis Edizioni, 2019.
TEACHERS AND EXAM BOARD
Ricevimento: From the 3ed of October, the course leader sees students in personal meetings on Thuesday from 4 p.m. For any meeting beforehand, please contact the lecturer by email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
GABRIELLA PETTI (President)
2nd October 2022
Attending Students. After the lectures, a written exercise on the topics covered in the course will be carried out, which will also include an independent elaboration of the proposed texts.
The course assessment will be made up of tutorials and classroom discussions of assignments presented by working groups of students