|SCIENTIFIC DISCIPLINARY SECTOR
The Statistics module focuses on the application of the main data analysis methodologies in the biological field. The module will provide the student with the basic knowledge useful for correctly interpreting the biological questions inherent in a research project.
AIMS AND CONTENT
The objective of the Statistics course is to introduce the student to the methodologies and related IT tools necessary to conduct an analysis of experimental data and synthesize and interpret the results obtained. The course will allow the student to understand the techniques of descriptive and inferential statistics, to apply different statistical methodologies to investigational data of biological sciences, to master statistical terminology and to define and read independently the final outcome of the analysis.
AIMS AND LEARNING OUTCOMES
The didactic activities (lectures and practical exercises carried out with the help of statistical software) will allow the students to
- know and independently apply the main statistical data analysis techniques
- acquire a correct terminology for reading and interpreting the data and the methodology behind the results presented
The teaching program entails lectures to introduce the theoretical concepts and exercises related to the application of these concept. In particular, the exercises will be carried out with the help of statistical software.
The teaching program provides the presentation and the discussion of the following topics:
- Descriptive statistics
- Data collection, organisation and representation of the data
- Position indices and Measures of dispersion
- Hypothesis testing
- Sampling method and confidence intervals
- Screening sensitivity and specificity of a diagnostic test, tests and measures of agreement, ROC curve and Bayes theorem
- Parametric and non-parametric test
- Advance statistical models for the analysis of biological data (linear regression, logistic regression, Poisson regression and survival analysis)
- Randomized clinical trials and phases of clinical research
Slides used during the lessons and other teaching materials will be available on Aulaweb.
The following textbooks are suggested as supporting material, but students can use other statistics textbook.
- Bland M. Statistica Medica, Apogeo 2009
- Whitlock M.C., Schluter D. Analisi statistica dei dati biologici, Zanichelli 2022
- Dytham C., Choosing and using Statistics -A biologist's guide, 3rd edition, Wiley-Blackwell 2011
- Craig A., Essential Mathematics and Statistics for Forensic Science, Wiley-Blackwell 2010
- Lucy D., Introduction to Statistics for Forensic Scientists, Wiley 2005
- Norman G, Streiner D., Biostatistica, Casa Editrice ambrosiana
- Triola M. Fondamenti di statistica per le discipline biomediche, Pearson 2022
TEACHERS AND EXAM BOARD
FRANCESCA BOVIS (President)
For lessons start and timetable go to the link: https://easyacademy.unige.it/portalestudenti/
Please check the module Aulaweb page for timetable updates dependent on the sanitary and epidemic situation.
Written exam, 3 calls during the winter period and 3 during the summer.
Details about the assesments and the evaluation process will be explained by the lectureres during the teaching period.
Students will be asked to answer to a series of questions and to solve some exercises to evaluate the knowledge, skills and abilities acquired during lectures and computer exercises.
The answers could be subsequently discussed with the student.