|SCIENTIFIC DISCIPLINARY SECTOR
The module will provide information on the main plant bioactive compounds and their biological properties. Case studies will be presented in which different biomass waste of agricultural supply chains, medicinal plants and wood processing, are recovered to enhance the bioactive compounds in a circular economy. Possible applications of phytocomplexes, essential oils and pure compounds concern the health, environmental and organic agriculture.
AIMS AND CONTENT
AIMS AND LEARNING OUTCOMES
Upon successful completion of the module, students will be able to demonstrate a:
- general understanding of the main types of plant bioactive compounds
- general knowledge of the basis of the circular economy
- general understanding of the main waste biomass derived from plant materials
- comprehensive understanding of the techniques and experimental tests useful to verify the properties of plant bioactive compounds
- general understanding of the relevant fields of application of such compounds.
The module consists of lectures, delivered through multimedia presentations, and discussion of case studies. Attendance at lessons is highly recommended. Laboratory activities and/or educational visits will be organised.
All the activities in presence will be carried out in compliance with the current legislation on COVID 19.
Please refer to the specific AulaWeb instance of the module for any updates due to changes in the health and epidemiological situation.
The module syllabus consists on the presentation and discussion of the following topics:
- general knowledge of the main plant bioactive compounds and secondary metabolites,
- description of the classes of bioactive compounds present in the plant kingdom, with particular regard to the sites of synthesis and accumulation within plants and their functional role: defense from herbivores and pathogens, response to biotic and abiotic stress, attraction, allelopathy,
- introduction to the concept of the circular economy,
- analysis of the main waste biomass and their possible reuse,
- biological properties of secondary metabolites, essential oils and phytocomplexes,
- main analytical methodologies and experimental tests useful to study and verify the properties of plant bioactive compounds,
- presentation of several case studies reported in international scientific journals.
The suggested book is available at the library of the school of Sciences MFN – BTM, useful to deepen what is presented by the lecturer:
- M. Maffei, 2015. "Bioactive molecules of plants".
TEACHERS AND EXAM BOARD
Ricevimento: Students are received after appointment with the lecturer by e-mail (email@example.com), at the Department of Earth Sciences, Environment and Life (DISTAV), Palazzina delle Scienze 2, office floor II.20.
PAOLA MALASPINA (President)
MARIA GUERRINA (Substitute)
Lessons will start in the first semester.
For lessons start and timetable go to the link: https://easyacademy.unige.it/portalestudenti/
Please check the module Aulaweb page for timetable updates dependent on the sanitary and epidemic situation.
L'orario di tutti gli insegnamenti è consultabile all'indirizzo EasyAcademy.
The exam consists of a written test or a report and an oral discussion.
Details on the degree of detail required will be provided at the beginning of the module and reiterated during lectures. The written test with oral discussion will allow to verify the degree of learning achieved by the students, the ability to clearly communicate the acquired concepts and to apply the knowledge in practical situations.
Regular attendance at lessons, laboratory activities and/or educational visits is strongly recommended.
For any questions about the program and the activities of the module contact the lecturer by email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Students are invited to subscribe to the AulaWeb platform (accessible from the University website or at www.aulaweb.unige.it) in order to have access to teaching material, information and updates related to the course.