|SCIENTIFIC DISCIPLINARY SECTOR
LABORATORIO DI BIOMATERIALI is a practical introductory course to additive manufacturing technologies and Materials Mechanics. The course is semi-annual, takes place in the second semester, includes 3 hours of lessons per week and the assignment of 3 training credits. The course aims to provide knowledge on the main design methodologies, manufacturing technologies and characterisation of materials applied in medicine.
AIMS AND CONTENT
Practical teaching aimed at acquiring fundamental operational knowledge on additive manufacturing technologies, 3D design, 3D printing and on types and properties of materials in relation to biomedical applications.
AIMS AND LEARNING OUTCOMES
The module intends to provide the basic knowledge of 3D printing and some material properties. The knowledge of these concepts is aimed at biomedical applications.
Attendance and active participation to lectures and individual study will allow the student
- knowing different type of printers;
- creating (simple) 3D CAD models, through the process of “slicing” and the generation of machine control code (STL and G-CODE) for printing;
- 3D printing of the designed model;
- knowing some techniques and tools for measuring the properties material;
- identifying the tools and the main techniques to characterize a material;
- characterizing the model produced by 3D printing;
- communicate effectively in written and oral form according to the specific context;
- demonstrate problem solving and team working skills;
- understand and contextualize experimental data, elaborate and evaluate available information.
The teaching consists of lectures and a practical laboratory part.
3D BIOPRINT module is organized in lectures and laboratory exercises related to design (STL and G-Code files) and production of models and structural elements through the 3D printer.
MATERIALS module is based on the use of certain instruments such as optical and electron microscopy and rheology. At the beginning of each laboratory activity there will be a brief theoretical introduction with the aim of providing the basic principles on which the techniques that will be used are based.
- Overview on the additive manufacturing technologies
- Introduction of principles of design: the modeling, the slicing of the 3D models and the generation of control code for printing (STL and G-CODE)
- Preliminary project design and production
- The microstructural characterization of a material: optical and electron microscopy (SEM)
- Physical-chemical characterization of a material: rheometry
- Mechanical characterization of a material: static and dynamic mechanical tests
Slides provided in class and scientific articles on specific topics.
TEACHERS AND EXAM BOARD
Ricevimento: In presence or on teams by appointment agreed via e-mail with the teacher.
DONATELLA DI LISA (President)
LAURA PASTORINO (President Substitute)
L'orario di tutti gli insegnamenti è consultabile all'indirizzo EasyAcademy.
The exam consists in a project, written report on laboratory activity and discussion.
The discussion will cover the topics covered in the report and will aim to assess not only whether the student has achieved an adequate level of knowledge, but whether he or she has acquired the ability to critically analyze the engineering problems that will be posed during the examination. The student will have to demonstrate knowledge of the basic instruments useful for characterizing a material from a microstructural, chemical-physical and mechanical point of view.
|Esame su appuntamento