|SCIENTIFIC DISCIPLINARY SECTOR||ICAR/07|
|MODULES||Questo insegnamento è un modulo di:|
AIMS AND CONTENT
AIMS AND LEARNING OUTCOMES
AIMS - Module 1
The objective of the module is to illustrate the fundamentals of geotechnical engineering, with particular emphasis on the physical-mechanical characterization of soils and the interaction between liquid and solid phases in porous media. The aim is therefore to introduce the main theoretical approaches for studying the hydro-mechanical response of soils and to provide the knowledge base for the subsequent engineering analyses.
LEARNING OUTCOMES: Classification of soils. Evaluation of initial stress states and their evolution over time. Analysis of seepage through porous media. One-dimensional consolidation. Soil strength for geotechnical design: modelling methods and their applicability.
The course consists of lectures, exercises and case studies.
Fondamenti di Geotecnica - Module 1
- Introduction to geotechnical engineering. General characteristics of soils. Classification of soils.
- Initial soil state and stress history. Principle of effective stresses.
- Water in soils. Permeability and drainage.
- One-dimensional consolidation.
- Soil strength criteria and critical state.
Fondamenti di Geotecnica - Module 2
- Soil deformation models: theory and applications.
- Experimental determination of the engineering properties of soils. Laboratory and field tests.
- Superficial foundations. Types and design approach. Limit load: short and long-term analysis. Calculation of settlements: assumptions and simplified models. Design methods for superficial foundations on fine-grained and coarse-grained soils.
- Retaining walls. Earth pressure on retaining structures. Design methods.
- Pile foundations. Types and design approach.
- The framework of national technical standard for geotechnical constructions (harmonised with Eurocodes).
Reading lists (available at School of Engineering Libraries)
R. Berardi (2020), Fondamenti di Geotecnica, 4a ed .Città Studi, De Agostini Scuola
L. Tonni, G. Gottardi (2010), Esercizi di Geotecnica, Soc. Editrice Esculapio, Bologna
Set of lectures and exercises (AulaWeb)
TEACHERS AND EXAM BOARD
Ricevimento: The lecturers of each module receive by appointment to be previously agreed via e-mail.
DOMENICO GALLIPOLI (President)
LEONARDO MARIA LALICATA
AGOSTINO WALTER BRUNO (President Substitute)
L'orario di tutti gli insegnamenti è consultabile all'indirizzo EasyAcademy.
The examination will consist of a single oral test during which the solution of an analytical exercise may also be required.
There will also be two optional written in itinere tests (one per module), the results of which will not count towards the exam grade but will be used exclusively: a) by the students to self-assess their learning progress and b) by the teacher to identify any topics to be explored during the oral test.
Assessment will be exclusively by oral examination at the end of the entire course (i.e. at the end of the second module). The oral examination will consist of questions on the programme developed during the two modules and may require the solution of an analytical exercise.
The topics of the optional written in itinere tests will be based on the content developed in the teaching periods prior to the test.