|SCIENTIFIC DISCIPLINARY SECTOR
The course deals with the topics relating to the urban hydrology and illustrates the main principles of the sustainable management of water resources in urban areas.
AIMS AND CONTENT
The course aims at improving the knowledge of some contents of the Hydraulic Construction. Particular attention is given to the urban hydrology and to the main approaches of the sustainable management of the water resources in urban areas.
AIMS AND LEARNING OUTCOMES
In details, the course illustrates the basic principles on the intervention strategy finalized to the mitigation of the hydraulic risk, to the protection of the ecosystems, to the improvement of the liveability in the urban areas. Subsequently the technical components of the innovative solutions such as green roofs, permeable pavements, green areas and rainwater harvesting systems, etc. will be illustrated and discussed. During the laboratory these contents and competences will be applied to a study case with specific focus on the hydrologic and hydraulic performance of the proposed solution even in compliance with the legislation in force.
Fundamentals of hydraulics of free surface currents and fundamentals of hydrology.
The lectures are organized in about 50 hours of theory including at least 20 hours of practice in order to completely develop the design of sustainable urban drainage systems for a study case. The students will have to implement a numerical exercise relating to the hydrologic-hydraulic performance of the proposed sustainable urban drainage systems for the study case.
Working students and students with DSA, disability or other certification of special educational needs are advised to contact the teacher at the beginning of the course in roder to agree on teaching and exam methods which, in compliance with the teaching objectives, take into account individual ways of learning.
The main contents of the course are the following:
- Review of the principles of hydrology
- Review of the principle of hydraulic
- Review of the legislation on the storm water management
- Technical solutions for the sustainable urban drainage systems
- Methods for the analysis and verification of the urban drainage network;
- Laboratory for the multidisciplinary design of a study case
- Application of a numerical model (open access code) to predict the hydraulic response in the study case.
The slides projected as part of the frontal teaching lessons, any supplementary material (also depending on specific student requests) are made available through the online support on AulaWeb. The support material for carrying out the guided exercises in the classroom and for the calculation component of the design report is also made available through AulaWeb. The material uploaded on AulaWeb is to be considered supplementary and supportive with respect to classroom lessons.
The recommended reading are liste below:
- The SuDS Manual, CIRIA, 2015 (disponibile on-line, http://www.ciria.org/Memberships/The_SuDs_Manual_C753_Chapters.aspx)
- Rossman L.A. Storm Water Management Model User's Manual Version 5.1, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA ,2015.(disponibile on-line https://www.epa.gov/water-research/storm-water-management-model-swmm#downloads)
- Roehr D., Fassman-Beck E.,Living Roofs in Integrated Urban Water Systems, Routlege, 2015.
TEACHERS AND EXAM BOARD
Ricevimento: The office hours are scheduled according to the specific student requirement. Students can contact Prof. Palla via e-mail or via Teams to arrange a face-to-face interview or an online reception.
ANNA PALLA (President)
ILARIA GNECCO (President Substitute)
L'orario di tutti gli insegnamenti è consultabile all'indirizzo EasyAcademy.
The oral examination aims at testing the theoretic knowledge and the skill to solve applied problems. Furthermore the students have to discuss/illustrate the results of the exercise relating to relating to the hydrologic-hydraulic performance of the proposed sustainable urban drainage systems for the study case.