Perché scegliere Yacht design?
A graduate in Yacht Design can aspire to a successful career in the areas of naval shipbuilding, design studios or maritime classification registers. Many graduates in Yacht Design participated in the annual event “From School to Work”, explaining the brilliant professional path that led them to hold responsible positions in major companies in the field.
In Italy, with its 7,500 km of coastline, there are almost 1,000 nautical shipyards, 550 marinas for a total of 160,000 berths. Since 2008, Italy has been a world leader in the production of motor yachts over 30 meters in length, and it is always in the first three places in the world for the production of smaller boats.
Polo University ‘G. Marconi’ is unique in Italy in offering nautical degree programs and professional activities that are constantly updated such as conferences, workshops and events on diverse topics related to the field.
Polo University ‘G. Marconi’ is a campus immersed in the green with spaces and facilities that encourage study and socialization. Students can become involved in projects of boat construction and refitting, participate in regattas and convivial moments linked to the sea.
What you will study
The Degree program optimally combines the skills of the various departments involved in order to prepare a student to become a professional able to face industrial problems with a high degree of complexity and innovation.
The teaching consists of classroom lectures and design laboratories.
In the second and final year, students undertake an internship lasting around 150 hours at naval shipyards or design studios.
The thesis test consists of the analysis and development of specific aspects and/or research in the field of yachting.
The graduate in Yacht Design is ready to enter the world of work in highly professional sectors, constituting an ideal base for a strong growth of competence and responsibility within the professional world and industrial organizations.
Who is s/he?
At the end of the degree program, a Master's graduate in Yacht Design, will be able to:
- apply his/her knowledge and understanding to identify, formulate and solve nautical engineering problems using advanced and innovative methods (which for example are utilizing numerical methods, modeling complex structures, use of three-dimensional modeling for construction and systems;
- apply his/her knowledge and understanding to analyze and innovate products, processes and methods of nautical engineering, not only from the point of view of engineering performance, but also from the point of view of design;
- select and apply analytical and modeling methods in the field of materials specific to nautical engineering;
- use his/her knowledge and understanding to design solutions for new problems in the field of nautical engineering, recognizing the need to resort to other disciplines, engineering as well as others.
- use his/her creativity to develop new and original ideas and methods;
- use his/her insight as a engineer to work in the presence of complex situations, uncertainties of measurements and incomplete information.
What does s/he do?
The professional areas typical for graduates of the degree program are those of innovation and development of production, advanced design, planning and programming, management of complex systems, both as freelancers as well as in manufacturing or service companies, especially related to the nautical field of leisure craft and Mega Yachts, and in public administration.
Where does s/he work?
Graduates of the Master's degree find work at/in:
- Ship building yards;
- Boat and marine transportation;
- Industries in the exploration of marine resources;
- Shipping companies;
- Maritime classification registers and surveying boards;
- Technical corps of the marine military;
- Professional design studios and assessment companies;
- Research institutes.