Skip to main content

English assessment test

What it is

If you matriculated in the current academic year, you must take an English language Assessment test to verify that you meet the required B1 level.

For all the information you need, such as dates, exemptions and how to take the test, visit the dedicated page on the Language Skills Development Sector website.

We want to ensure that all our students, once they graduate, can seek employment internationally, can decide where to apply their skills and be free to communicate, write and speak to as many people as possible in the world. Applying at a company in California, going to teach Latin in Sweden as well as attracting foreign investors or tourists to Genoa should be goals within reach of every UniGe graduate.

In an increasingly connected world, knowing at least one other language is to be considered an essential skill, whatever the field of study. UniGe has decided to invest in the language training of its students and not to leave it up to the will and ability of individuals to fill any gaps; this is a major organisational and training effort, coordinated by the Language Skills Development Sector, which we believe will see very concrete results in the job placement of the coming years, when it will be clear to everyone that being a UniGe graduate will also be a guarantee of knowing English.

The UniGe graduates must be able to learn English.

From academic year 2019/2020 UniGe will be organising an experimental project with the aim of adjusting the knowledge of all freshmen to the B1 level of English in the shortest possible time and thus making it possible for all students to reach the B2 level at the end of their Bachelor's degree and the C1 level at the end of their Master's degree.

In the first year there is a Assessment test for those who do not have B1 level certification or above, with tests between September and November; for those who do not reach the level there are online and, if necessary, in-person courses, to be taken and passed within the first year of their career.

In the years following the first year, courses in English B2 first and C1 later (in the master's degrees) will follow.