The primary objective of the course of study is to train professionals who have adequate knowledge and skills to carry out the best professional practice in accordance with the professional profile and code of ethics. At the end of the course of study, he or she should have acquired knowledge (knowing), skills (knowing how to do) and relationship skills (knowing how to be).
The degree program has a limited number of students (based on the annual requirement agreed between the Ministry of Health, MIUR, Regions, Private Hospital Associations and the Professional Orders). Attendance at lectures and internships is compulsory.
The graduate in Orthoptics and Ophthalmic Care is the health care professional who is responsible for the attributes set forth in Decree Law No. 743 of September 14, 1994, as amended and supplemented, namely:
- is the health professional who, holding a qualifying university diploma and on the doctor's prescription, treats motor and sensory disorders of vision and performs the techniques of instrumental-ophthalmological semeiology
- is responsible for the organization, planning and quality of professional acts performed within the scope of his or her duties
- performs his or her professional activities in health care facilities, public or private, on a dependent or freelance basis.
The areas of competence of the Orthoptist are:
- prevention, evaluation and visual rehabilitation of disorders that prevent "binocular vision"
- evaluation and rehabilitation of strabismus, at any age, and amblyopia (lazy eye)
- performance of ophthalmology examinations such as visual field, electrofunctional examinations (ERG, PEV, EOG, etc.), tests to assess contrast sensitivity and color perception, refraction, retinal angiography, biometry, corneal topography, adaptorometry, aberrometry, contactology, etc.
- prevention, evaluation and rehabilitation of visual impairment (low vision)
- instrumentation in ophthalmological operating rooms
- basic and continuing education for Orthoptists
- organization and planning of the acts and quality of work performed within their profession
- research activities
- consulting for Companies, Industries, Associations, Sports Societies, etc. on the subject of quality of vision.