|SCIENTIFIC DISCIPLINARY SECTOR||ICAR/13|
|SECTIONING||This unit is divided into 2 sections:|
Prerequisites (for future units)
The aim of this course is to provide the main, basic concepts of product design and to allow students to experience the design process. The course will focus on learning about the different steps of the whole design process, from needs assessment, to product conception, to product realization, as well as assessing student progress through theoretical and practical exercises.
This course aims to analyze the foundational theories, methods, techniques and tools of design -both of material and virtual objects- with reference to their morphological characteristics in relation to:
- the consumer's needs and usage behavior;
- the characteristics of production, construction, performance and safety of the product;
- functional and ergonomic requirements, as well as economic, social and environmental sustainability requirements;
- visual languages, artistic customs, as well as aesthetic and cultural meanings.
The main goal of this course is to provide students with a method to tackle different issues with a user-centered approach from the very first phase of the project. Through the lectures and classroom exercises, students will gain the ability to merge the complexity of the design process with their knowledge of the different research and project methods, allowing them to deal with each situation with the most optimal approach.
By the end of this course, students will be able to:
- develop the design process with specific research and project methods promoting the detection and reporting of issues and their solution recommendations;
- read and understand design products according to functional, market, production and symbolic criteria;
- carry out user studies and use various interviewing techniques to creatively develop projects;
- visually depict the final project design results in an effective manner.
All class schedules are posted on the EasyAcademy portal.