|SCIENTIFIC DISCIPLINARY SECTOR
The course of Harbour Engineering provides the knowledge that underlies the activities of planning, design and management of a commercial port with attention to both the technical aspects of construction and management and optimization of port operations.
AIMS AND CONTENT
Fundamentals of Port Planning and Design taking into account maritime operations and land requirements for terminals and inland transportation
AIMS AND LEARNING OUTCOMES
The teaching aims to provide the basic knowledge for a general overview of the problems related to:
- general framework of a modern commercial port;
- analysis of traffic and characteristics of maritime transport;
- characterization and dimensioning of maritime areas for the access and the safe maneuvering of ships;
- characterization and dimensioning of the main types of port terminals for an efficient handling of goods;
- regulatory framework for the management of Italian ports.
The training activity includes frontal lessons held by the teacher. In addition, several seminars are offered on different specific topics held by experts in the field.
General characterization of a port location
Types of commercial ports
Characterization of ships and maritime traffic
Maritime areas: use and dimensioning
Land areas: characterization of the terminals and their general dimensioning
Italian regulations for the management of commercial ports
- Agerschou et al. (1983) Planning and design of ports and marine terminals. Wiley & Sons
- Ligteringen & Velsink (2012) Ports and terminals. VSSD
- PIANC MarCom Reports
- Thoresen (2003) Port designer’s handbook. Thomas Telford
- Tsinker (2004) Port engineering. Wiley & Sons
TEACHERS AND EXAM BOARD
GIOVANNI BESIO (President)
FRANCESCO DE LEO
ANDREA MARGARITA LIRA LOARCA
L'orario di tutti gli insegnamenti è consultabile all'indirizzo EasyAcademy.
Version:1.0 StartHTML:0000000199 EndHTML:0000039332 StartFragment:0000038895 EndFragment:0000039292 SourceURL:file:///Z:/unison/universita/didattica/Harbour_Engineering/scheda_insegnamento.doc
The examination includes an oral test. Students must prepare a specific presentation on a commercial port reality by examining the different aspects covered during the course. The presentation is the basis for the discussion of the oral test.