|SCIENTIFIC DISCIPLINARY SECTOR
Questo insegnamento è diviso nelle seguenti frazioni:
Propedeuticità in uscita
Business Administration is a core unit in the 3-year degree which addresses the principles and logics underpinning the operations of businesses. This is the first unit in the business studies area that first-year students take on in their degree.
AIMS AND CONTENT
The course aims to provide first-year students a basic knowledge of the principles and logics underpinning the operations of businesses. In particular, you will examine the nature and roles of businesses and their administration, as economic entities producing goods and services for the market.
AIMS AND LEARNING OUTCOMES
The Business Administration unit aims at providing the first-year students with a solid basic knowledge of the principles and logics underpinning the operations of businesses. In particular, the unit intends to:
- Examine the conditions for the origins and development of businesses
- Clarify the concepts of operations continuity and management’s objective of value creation
- Explain the necessary conditions to achieve and maintain the economic and financial stability of the business
- Deepen the double-entry bookkeeping methodology and its application to register main business operations
- Understand the profitability and financial needs of a business
By the end of this unit, students will acquire competence in the main issues of business administration, such as:
- the calculation of the net profit of the year and the invested capital, as well as the meaning of equity value.
- the double-entry bookkeeping and its application for recording main operations in accounting
- the company’s profitability, its financial needs, and related financial resources.
Knowledge and comprehension: students will acquire solid knowledge and factual ability to explain the logics of business operations, including a focus on the nature and activities of businesses, as systematic economic entities that generate wealth and require economic and financial stability to stay viable.
Ability to apply knowledge: Students will be able to apply their acquired knowledge to understand and solve simple and more complex problems concerning business management, organisation and accounting, especially in consideration of the company’s financial and economic stability.
Capability of learning to learn: students will be able to organise and assess their own learning and manage their career
Critical judgment: Students will be able to apply the acquired knowledge using their own judgment and critical reasoning, both theoretically and practically.
The unit makes use of the following teaching methodologies:
- face-to-face lectures aiming at working on knowledge and comprehension of financial and business concepts and the functioning of the accounting and information system
- face-to-face tutorials to develop the capability to apply knowledge, critical thinking and the capacity of learning to learn
The unit develops along these content lines:
- The business operations as the main study objects of Business Administration as a scientific discipline.
- The business and its distinctive role in the economic and financial system. The value creation process.
- Business administration and its main operations: financing, investments, production, sales. The economic and financial effects of operations. Profit generation and financial and economic stability of the business.
- The invested capital and the net profit of the year. The principle of accrual accounting.
- The double-entry bookkeeping methodology and accounting entries of the main business operations: purchase, sales, fixed assets acquisition, etc…
- Elements of the invested capital and the net profit. The problem of accounting estimates.
- The profitability and its determinants. The equity value.
- Nature of the costs and their relations with the business
- Financial needs, their determinants and coverage. Financial stability.
Marchi, L. (a cura di) (2021). Introduzione all'economia aziendale. Giappichelli.
A list of the chapters that are covered in the final exam is provided at the beginning of the semester on Aulaweb.
The textbook will be also available in the e-book version.
Additional materials will be uploaded on Aulaweb at the beginning of and during the semester.
TEACHERS AND EXAM BOARD
Ricevimento: Gli studenti possono prendere un appuntamento per il ricevimento inviando una email al docente (email@example.com) All'avvio del 1° semestre verrà fissato un appuntamento fisso settimanale per il ricevimento che sarà inserito in questa sezione. Students can arrange office hours with the teacher by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org With the start of Semester 1 students will be notified here about the time and date of the weekly office hours.
GIULIA LEONI (President)
September 18, 2023
L'orario di tutti gli insegnamenti è consultabile all'indirizzo EasyAcademy.
The final exam is a written exam to assess the student’s theoretical and practical learning. It is the same assessment both for attending and non-attending students. The final exam is a mix of practical and theoretical questions in the form of exercises, open questions and multiple-choice questions.
During the semester when the course is taught, the final exam can be replaced – if offered by the course coordinator – by in-course assessments. The dates, modes, and contents of these in-course assessments will be communicated via AulaWeb during the semester.
More details on the exams will be communicated to the students at the beginning of the semester via AulaWeb and during the first lecture.
The exam aims at acertain that the student is capable to effectively explain the nature of the business and its dynamics, and to apply theoretical concepts to solve problems regarding the preservation of the economic and financial stability of the businesses.