Skip to main content

Incoming Erasmus+ study and traineeship

What is

The Erasmus+ programme offers foreign students the opportunity to study at UniGe.
Each year UniGe welcomes more than 500 Erasmus+ students from over 350 partner universities.

On this page you can find all the useful information about the application procedure for the Erasmus+ Programme and about living and studying at the University of Genoa.

Programme duration

The length of stay varies depending on the course of study attended at your university and the one you choose to attend during your stay in Genoa.

The length of stay ranges from a minimum of 2 months to a maximum of 12 months.

Admission Criteria

If you want to study at UniGe as an Erasmus student, you must first be nominated by your home university, which must have a valid Erasmus+ interinstitutional agreement with UniGe.

To be an Erasmus+ exchange student, you must meet all the requirements.

If the number of students applying for a place exceeds the number of places available, applications will be considered and accepted in chronological order.

N.B. If you do not find your area of study on the application form, please contact your university.

Recommended language skills

Your home institution, by agreement with UniGe, is responsible for providing you with support for the recommended language skills prior to your departure for Genoa:

All subject areas ITALIAN - B1, ENGLISH - B1

Medicine ITALIAN - B1

Economics ITALIAN - B1, ENGLISH - B1 (1st cycle students) - B2 (2nd cycle students)

Architecture ITALIAN - A2 (compulsory), ENGLISH - B2

Are you a non-EU citizen?

If you are a non-EU citizen, before coming to Italy for Erasmus+ at UniGe, consult the website of the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs at the page dedicated to consular services or the Italian Consulate, to find out if you need a visa to enter Italy.

Keep in mind that if you meet the requirements for a visa, but do not obtain a student visa, you cannot register.

If you need a visa, UniGe can issue a Letter of Invitation, containing details of the Erasmus+ period.

N.B.Before requesting the invitation letter, please ensure that your application form has arrived at our International Mobility Office (you should have received a confirmation message).

In order to issue the Letter of Invitation, we only need to receive the following documents by e-mail:

  • Request for issuance duly signed by the applicant, containing the full address of the Italian Embassy or Consulate where you have applied for the visa.
  • .
  • Copy of a valid passport
  • .

The invitation letter will be issued no earlier than 15 days after receipt of the documents listed above.

Please note that the letter of invitation will only be issued if:

  • the above-mentioned documents have been sent in the required manner
  • .
  • the required documents are complete
  • the passport is valid
  • .

UniGe will communicate any changes requested by you or your home institution to the Italian Embassy where you applied for the visa.

Your home institution and UniGe will assist, when necessary, in securing visas for incoming participants from your home institution, in accordance with the requirements of the Erasmus Charter for Higher Education.

Information and assistance can be provided by the International Mobility Sector.

Continue Reading


Your home institution and UniGe will assist you in obtaining insurance, in accordance with the requirements of the Erasmus Charter for Higher Education.

UniGe will inform you of cases in which insurance cover is not automatically provided.

Information and assistance can be provided by UNIPOL-SAI, div. La Fondiaria (liability insurance no. 151189675, expiring 30/06/2020)


Where do you come from?

Bring with you the European Health Service card issued in your country of residence.

If you need check-ups medications, you can contact any general practitioner free of charge (a list of general practitioners is available on request from the International Mobility Department).

The general practitioner may prescribe specific medicines or tests.

In Genoa, specific examinations must be booked by phoning:

CUP (Central Reservation Office)

tel. 800 098 543 (only from a landline)
tel. 010 538 3400 (also from mobile phones)
from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
tel. 800098543 (toll-free from landline and mobile)
from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. on weekdays, except Saturdays
N.B.It is not necessary to contact the National Health Service (NHS).


The application must be submitted to the National Health Service.

To submit the application it is necessary to pay € 149.77 by postal giro slip (C/C no. 606160) made out to Amministrazione P.T. Regione Liguria indicating in the reason for payment "Assicurazione volontaria SSN anno..... (Voluntary health insurance SSN year...)". For example: Assicurazione volontaria SSN anno 2020.

N.B. Payment is valid for 1 calendar year. This insurance guarantees full coverage and allows you to choose your general practitioner.


Alternatively, you can take out a private health insurance policy with WAI Italy: you need to register on Welcome Association Italy and then pay 120 euros for one year or 71 euros for six months, by postal order.


The aforementioned insurance policy is eligible to apply for the issue or renewal of a residence permit.

If the insurance policy is required in order to obtain a visa, you are obliged to take it out abroad.

Once in Genoa, in case of emergency you can contact the emergency rooms of the S. Martino Hospital and of the Galliera Hospital or call the emergency number 112.

When you arrive

Register with the International Mobility Office

This is the first office you should visit (don't forget to bring a valid ID with you).

Here you will be able to:

  • register and register
  • receive your matriculation number and the necessary documents
  • .
  • you will receive the badge
  • required for access to laboratories, libraries and student canteens.

After enrolment you will be able to access all the facilities and services to which you are entitled as a UniGe student.

You will also receive all useful information about the professor responsible for your Erasmus exchange at UniGe. If necessary, ask for his or her counselling hours and other contacts directly at the Erasmus Office of the UniGe department you are directed to.

Go to the foreign student office (SASS)

This office can help you:

  • find the best accommodation for your needs
  • apply for a tax code
  • .
  • apply for a residence permit (only for non-EU citizens)
  • .

Contact the professor responsible for the exchange

Contact the professor in charge of the exchange, listed in the Erasmus+ stay details section of the application form.

He/she will support you in matters concerning your study/training plan (learning agreement) and course units.

Contact the International Office of the UniGe Department to which you are directed: they will provide you with all useful information about our organisation, academic calendar and course units.

Your UniGePASS credentials

Once registered at UniGe by the International Mobility Office, you will be given a UniGePASS account to access all online services, such as:

  • wifi internet access
  • student webmail
  • e-learning and classroom web
  • .
  • use of university computers
  • library services
  • etc.


ALISEO offers general services for students, such as meal services and accommodation.

Canteens are one of the main services offered to students; Erasmus students can also access this service, subject to authorisation.

The complete list of canteens available for students and the prices of meals can be found at the AlISEO webpage.


UniGe supports international students in finding accommodation, but does not guarantee or reserve any accommodation.
. However, UniGe provides a accommodation board where you can find a flat or a room.

If you are interested in university residences, contact the ALISEO (Regional Agency for Students and Tutoring), the body that deals with this type of accommodation.

Bed & Breakfasts, residences and religious accommodation can be alternative solutions, especially for short stays. A list of these types of accommodation is available from the Welcome office.

Student activities - incoming


The GEG (Gruppo Erasmus Genova) is a non-profit student organisation, part of the Erasmus Student Network (ESN). Its objective is to promote student mobility within the framework of university exchange projects, according to the "students helping students" principle.

The GEG is run by volunteers and organises many activities to help foreign students feel welcome in Genoa. GEG also organises a pick-up service on request.

GEG contact
Hotel dei poveri
Piazzale E. Brignole, 2


If you are interested in sports, you can contact the CUS (University Sports Centre).

Italian language courses

Many courses and subjects are taught in English.
If the courses and subjects in your learning agreement are taught in Italian, you do not need to present a language certificate, but UniGe offers Italian language courses.

UniGe organises, with the contribution of the EU, Italian language courses for foreign students, completely free of charge.

If you wish to follow the course, please fill in the appropriate section of the enrolment form.


The courses are divided into levels, from A1 (basic level) to C2 (proficiency), according to the criteria established by the Council of Europe's Common European Framework of Reference for Modern Languages. An entrance test is required.

For further information, please contact the Language Skills Development Department (formerly CLAT).

Extend your Erasmus +

If you wish to extend the duration of your Erasmus stay, you will need the authorisation of both your home institute and the professor responsible for the exchange at UniGe.

The request for extension must reach the International Mobility Office at least 15 days before the end of the registered Erasmus period. After receiving both authorisations, the International Mobility Office will issue a confirmation of acceptance.


N.B.You are reminded that the Erasmus period cannot exceed 12 months.

Learning agreement and amendments

You must fill in your Learning Agreement and its amendments in agreement with your home institution and the professor responsible for the exchange at UniGe (following the rules of your UniGe Department).

If the document needs the approval of the Erasmus Institutional Coordinator, you will have to go to the International Mobility Office after obtaining the signature of the professor responsible for the exchange.


How to apply

How to fill in the online application form


Please do not use smartphones or tablets to fill the Application form, since it may cause errors. If technical problems occur during the Online procedure, please mail to

Checklist of what to do:

  1. Fill in the form completely and carefully
  2. .
  3. Indicate all your names and surnames (as they are printed in your identity documents).
    . When you enter names and addresses , please use the English or Italian alphabet and do not use special characters. If names or addresses contain special characters, please use the following characters in place of them:
    • a instead of °á,â,ã,ä,å,ă,ą
    • einstead of è,é,ê,ë,ę,ě
    • i instead of ì,í,î,ï,ĩ,ī,ĭĭ
    • o instead of ò,ó,ô,õ,ō,ŏ,ő,ǿ
    • u instead of ù,ú,û,ũ,ū,ŭ,ů
    • cinstead of ç,ĉ,ċ,č
    • n instead of ñ,ň,ń
    • l instead of ł
    • oe instead of ö
    • ss instead of ß
    • ue instead of ü
  4. .

    If in the list included in the Application form, you don't find the name of your place of birth, select the option "Others, as indicated in the copy of my identity documents" and send the copy of a valid identity document (Passport or identity card), attached to the complete Application Form.

  5. Check the correctness of the e-mail address you indicate in your Application Form, since all official communications will be sent to you by e-mail.

At the end of data entry, two options are available:

  1. Data Confirmation
    if you select this option, you create the final version of your Application Form and your data are registered in the Erasmus + Incoming database of UniGe. No more changes can be done through the Online procedure, if changes occur, you have to contact directly the International Mobility Office
  2. Cancel
    if you select this option, all data you entered will be deleted and a new online procedure has to be started.

N.B. If you don't confirm the application, your data won't be registered in the UniGe Erasmus + Incoming database.

After confirmation

  1. After confirmation, two options are available:
    • save: if you want to save a PDF version of your application form on your computer
    • .
    • print: if you want to print the application form
  2. Once saved or printed, the application form has to be signed and printed by your home university
  3. The signed and stamped application form has to be sent only via email to the address directly by the International Office of your home University.
    N.B. Email sent by unofficial email addresses or students' addresses (, won't be considered
  4. The complete Application Form sent by email by your home University, has to be received by the International Mobility Office.
  5. .

Before you leave

Ask for the Attendance Certificate

Before leaving, you have to contact the Professor responsible for the exchange or the Erasmus office of your UniGe Department, in order to get your confirmation of attendance duly signed and stamped.

Pick up your transcript of records

At the end of your Erasmus exchange, you have to go your UniGe Students' registrar Office (secretary's office) in order to get the document stating your didactic activies during the Erasmus exchange.

Polytechnic School (Architecture - Engineering)
Via Stradone Sant'Agostino, 37
Tel: 0039-010 209 5660
Fax: 0039-010 209 9652