The Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering - Design and Manufacturing provides a broad and extremely flexible education. Several curricula and elective courses are provided, allowing you to customize your skills.
The relationship between faculty and students is direct and fruitful due to the specificity and practicality of the topics covered. Many classes are held in laboratories and include hands-on activities to be carried out individually or in small groups, an aspect that fosters the development of autonomy and an aptitude for group work.
The lecturers of the course of study have well-established collaboration and research relationships with numerous companies, mainly distributed on the Ligurian territory, but there is no lack of contacts with prestigious national and international realities. Already during the course of lectures, this takes the form of seminars with experts from various business realities and educational visits.
The course is based on in-depth study of the basic subjects typical of mechanical engineering and supplemented with a series of curriculum-specific teachings. The basic contents consist of:
- design and management of industrial plants
- systematic and structural design of machines
- measurements and mechatronics
- energy and machines
- mechanical technologies and assembly systems
- deep topics related to numerical methods.
Increases basic skills through the use of computer-aided design tools and analyzes issues related to mechanical vibration. Issues such as industrial sustainability and the selection and management of specific product quality control methods are also explored.
Provides specific skills in an economically and environmentally important field in which the mechanical engineer's contribution is essential. The curriculum is interdisciplinary in nature, with content including innovative materials, vehicle mechanics and aerodynamics, and internal combustion engines.
Provides close integration between mechanical engineering topics, such as machine building or applied mechanics, and topics in electrical engineering, electronics, and computer science. The teaching approach generally starts from application needs and then introduces the theoretical concepts needed to arrive at suitable solutions. Finally, laboratory activities allow students to apply what they have studied in class and come into contact with industrial reality, touching components commonly used in automation and mechatronics.
The master's degree in Mechanical Engineering - Design and Manufacturing provides access to the State Examination for registration in Section A of the Register of Engineers, Industry Sector.
The graduate in MECHANICAL ENGINEERING - DESIGN AND PRODUCTION.
Who is it?
The professional figure formed by this degree, as the culmination of a path based on two successive degrees-a bachelor's degree and a master's degree-can perform innumerable functions on both technological and project and plant management aspects. In particular:
- design engineer, with functions ranging from conceptual scheme conception, virtual modeling and prototyping, component and subsystem selection, sizing, and prototype development and testing
- manufacturing engineer, with functions of selecting and optimizing technologies for the production and assembly of components and systems, verifying their compliance with product specifications, and finally managing and operating complex production systems
- project and site engineer, with tasks of managing complex projects and construction sites, managing relations with customers and suppliers, solving assembly and start-up problems, especially from the point of view of technical qualification of supplies and products
- Engineer for R&D functions, capable of identifying (scouting technology) and using innovative technologies for the development or improvement of mechanical products and systems, starting from the initial stages of defining technological requirements to design, prototyping and testing in the laboratory and field.
In general, this professional figure has acquired:
- ability both to collaborate and coordinate personnel in the industrial world who perform operational functions (e.g., shop floor and construction site), and to exchange information and find solutions to interdisciplinary problems, dialoguing with engineers and technicians with different specializations (e.g., electronic, computer, electrical)
- capacity for continuous learning, which is indispensable for professional growth and allows over time to move from more operational professional tasks to roles of managing and solving progressively more complex problems, maturing a systemic view of problems and their solutions.
What does it do?
- Knows the mathematical tools, physical and engineering fundamentals for understanding and using technologies enabling used in mechanical systems
- uses working tools for the design and simulation of components and systems (CAD-CAE-CAM tools) .
- has expertise in mechanical materials, including criteria for their selection and use, manufacturing and assembly technologies, and testing methodologies
- knows components (unified components, commercial components - drive systems, sensors, mechanical transmissions) and selects them for the purpose of a specific project
- knows measurement systems and their integration with automatic control systems
- has knowledge of industrial plant engineering, with related modeling and design skills.
In relation to the three curricular areas:
- for the design and manufacturing curriculum, knows advanced assisted design methods and skills related to industrial sustainability
- for the land vehicle curriculum, has advanced engineering skills on the specific class of products
- for the mechatronics curriculum, has skills related to the integration of mechanics, electronics with the presence of intelligent functions.
Where does he/she work?
The degree in Mechanical Engineering - Design and Manufacturing offers new engineers a specialization mainly in the fields of mechanical design and manufacturing, supporting both the world of research and the world of work, including in sectors oriented to technological innovation.
The specialization offers employment opportunities in companies, public or private entities and research facilities in the fields of design, production, manufacturing, industrial plant engineering, automation, robotics and vehicles, for the different phases of the life cycle such as installation, testing, monitoring, maintenance and management of machines, plants and complex systems.