This text has been automatically translated for your convenience. The official text is the Italian version of the website. Any discrepancies or differences created in the translation are not binding and have no legal value.
English assessment test
If you matriculated in A.Y. 2021/22, you need to take an English Language Assessment Test to verify that you have the required B1 level.
To get all the necessary information, such as dates, waivers and how to take the test, visit the dedicated page on the Language Skills Development Sector website.
Certifications and exemptions
If you already have a valid B1 level certification (see list below) you must upload your certificate on the dedicated page of AulaWeb. If the certification is recognized as valid you will be exempt from the exam and the credits related to it will be recognized in your career.
The following certifications are considered valid only if earned on or after May 2019:
- Cambridge (PET and up)
- Trinity ISE or higher
- IELTS (with at least 4.0 points)
- TOEFL iBT (with at least 42 points)
- IGCSE (with at least D)
- International Baccalaureate
- The PeopleCert Group - LanguageCert (at least Listening, Reading and Speaking - B1 level or above)
- Oxford Test of English (all skills - at least B1 level)
- Linguaskill (Reading & Listening, Writing and Speaking - at least B1 level)
- Trinity Graded Examinations in Spoken English (GESE) or Trinity ISE Level II Speaking and Listening
- certifications issued by Italian or foreign summer schools, even if indicating the level achieved
- certifications attesting to attendance of an English language course from Italian or foreign institutions;
- certifications attesting only one or two skills, for example, only Speaking and Listening or Listening and Reading;
- The PeopleCert Group LanguageCert attesting only one skill, for example, only Speaking.
Did you pass the Assessment test?
If you passed the Assessment test you just need to register it.
You will be invited to attend a monitored online English Language B1 course, at the end of which, you will be able to access the B1 test again. If then, even that test is not passed, then you will be invited to enroll in a 40-hour in-person course that at the end again involves a dedicated B1 test
If you have a valid B1 certification
Upload here your certification.
We want to ensure that all our students, once they graduate, can look for jobs internationally, can decide where to apply their skills and be free to communicate, write and speak to as many people in the world as possible. Applying at a company in California, going to teach Latin in Sweden as well as attracting foreign investors or tourists to Genoa should be goals within reach of every UniGe graduate.
In an increasingly connected world, knowing at least one other language should be considered an essential skill, whatever the field of study. UniGe has decided to invest in the language training of its students and not to leave it up to the will and ability of individuals to fill any gap; this is a major organizational and training effort, coordinated by the Language Skills Development Sector, which we believe will see very concrete results in the job placement of the coming years, when it will become clear to everyone that being a UniGe graduate, will also be a guarantee of knowing English.
From the a.y. 2019/2020 UniGe organizes an experimental project with the aim of adjusting the knowledge of all freshmen to the level of English language B1 in the shortest possible time and thus making the goals of level B2 at the end of the bachelor's degree and level C1 at the end of the master's degree achievable for all students.
In the first year there is a Assessment test for those who do not present certification of B1 level or above, with tests between September and November; for those who do not reach the level there are online and possibly in-person courses, to be taken and passed within the first year of their career.
In the years following the first one, there will follow an offering of B2 English courses first and C1 then (in the master's degrees).